lmdinmn
Newly Registered

What kind of pepper is this?

We purchased red pepper seeds, or so we thought. Obviously the seeds were not packaged correctly. We think they may be banana peppers. The biggest ones on the plants are about 6 inches long and light green in color.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/3778116616_5195f5e203_o.jpg[/img]

Any help in identifying these peppers would be appreciated!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

What variety of red pepper did you buy? Different varieties of sweet red peppers range in shape from long and skinny Italian frying peppers like Jimmy Nardello, to square or round-cheese shaped peppers, so if your pepper doesn't match the picture on the seed pack it could be just about anything, sweet or hot.

lmdinmn
Newly Registered

The package said they were sweet red bell peppers. We purchased an additional red bell pepper plant from a local nursery and that one is definitely growing bell peppers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sweet bell peppers

There is a variety of sweet bells that is shaped just like that. The CSA (community supported agriculture, ie the local farm I buy from) I belong to gives us both varieties, the common oblongish ones and these. They taste pretty indistinguishable. The red color of course comes later when they ripen up.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

If it turns out to be a mild hot pepper, I might know what it is. I can't remember the name--I bought them at Home Depot in 2007--but I will research it if they prove hot. I think it started with an S, but I can't remember :) They were really tasty in chile rellenos.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

lmdinmn
Newly Registered

They are sweet

Just thought I'd follow up and let everyone know these did turn out to be sweet red peppers. The wall of the pepper is a little thinner than a typical bell pepper but it tastes the same.

Thanks for the responses!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I planted two types of bell pepper this year without knowing it. After the plants were growing, I looked at the little plastic tags which are commonly stuck into the multi packs of tomatos and peppers. One six pack was three lobe peppers and one six pack was four lobe peppers. Both from Burpee. I also planted a six pack of "jalapeno" plants. I actually got four varieties of peppers which included two jalapenos in the six pack.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”