Alt0252
Newly Registered

Just moved in...

I'm new to this forum and new to landscape/gardening/working outdoors in general. I just moved in to our first house with a pretty extensive outdoor space and its very overgrown.

Since its the middle of the summer (hottest days on record for Seattle) I'm a little afraid of trimming so much that the plants won't be able to survive the winter. Plus I'm pretty daunted at the overall scope of the work and I don't really know where or how to start. Any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

what to do now

You are right about doing too much trimming now. Your task in heat of summer is just to keep everything surviving through it... keep watering, provide some shade as needed. If the place you moved into is overgrown, this is a good time to get it weeded out and cleaned up, put some mulch down to help retain water in the soil. And be planning what you want to do with it all.

Once the heat breaks at end of summer, early fall, you want to trim things back. If you have bulb plants (day lilies, irises, etc) that are crowded, fall is a good time to dig them up, divide and replant. If you are adding things, lots of perennials, shrubs, and trees can be planted in early fall. They get roots established by winter so they are ready to take off in early spring.

If it's overwhelming, work in sections. Pick a bed or an area to work on and do it a little at a time. It is ALWAYS going to be a work in progress; that's the nature of gardens. I have lived where I am 8 yrs and it is definitely still a work in progress... don't stress about it!

Feel free to ask more specific questions as they come up.

Alt0252
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice... We pulled weeds for a couple hours on Saturday, our first day in the garden, and that made me feel better at least. And I think adding some mulch like you suggested would go a long way to improving the look of the sections we've worked on.

Most of what we have, I would say are shrub type plants. I probably need to do some research into what we actually have. Unfortunately, I seem to have blackberries growing around about 30% of the property, and they've been very difficult to get at, given that they are growing through other plants. I've also got quite a bit of dead portions, (probably because of the blackberries) and I'm assuming its OK to get rid of these parts as well?

Thanks for your help

Return to “Landscaping”