I have a relatively large backyard and want screening on the sides from neighbors.
The number one criterion is FRAGRANCE. I would like plants that put off wonderful smells. Flowers aren't necessary if the foliage itself smells good. I would like plants that smell all four seasons if possible. I know there probably aren't a lot of plants that smell all four seasons, so a variety of plants with different smelling cycles would be ok.
I would like a tighter hedge that you can't walk through. I don't mind more than one species as long as it can grow and interweave with other species (like a tapestry hedge).
* Location: 20 miles south of Nashville, TN. I'm in zone 6b.
* All plants must be evergreen. Don't want to lose the privacy in the winter.
* I don't mind pruning/trimming every couple of months.
* Would like either fast growers or plants that can be purchased at decent maturity for not much $.
* Ideally I would like a hedge at least 7 feet tall.
* Soil has lots of clay. I could entertain the notion of building up a berm with better soil or building a raised bed (this would decrease the required height of the hedge).
* Area to be covered ranges from full sun to full shade in summer. Full sun in winter.
* Cost is definitely a factor.
Please feel free to ask questions I have not answered. I tried to think of everything you might need to know, but I probably forgot something. Also, if you have some other fragrant privacy idea other than a hedge, please feel free to suggest it.
Reading over this list, I can't imagine that anyone knows of plants that fit these criteria. Any help you can give me, though, is greatly appreciated.