steadfast4life
Newly Registered

Own root roses

I would love to propagate roses and grown them from their own roots. What are the best varieties to do that with keeping in my mind my Zone 5 hard Nebraska winters? Is it possible or am I overly ambitious?
-Chris
Without God's creation, I think I'd just go nuts.

Wahrheit

Re: Own root roses

steadfast4life wrote:I would love to propagate roses and grown them from their own roots. What are the best varieties to do that with keeping in my mind my Zone 5 hard Nebraska winters? Is it possible or am I overly ambitious?
-Chris

Without a doubt, it is "possible".

Most cultivars of roses will propagate via rooting of cuttings. A list of them would be quite extensive with all the known cultivars.

All the Rugosa types in particular, will *propagate* all by themselves, when growing on their own roots, and they are all excellent for colder climates.

There are a few different methods of rooting cuttings, so you may just want to do an internet search on "propagating roses".
One very easy method for the amateur is to make a lengthwise slit on a low growing branch, while it's still attached to the parent plant. Cover with a couple inches of soil and keep moist. Roots should start to develop (at the point where the cut was made) in a few weeks. When you have sufficient root growth for the branch to grow on it's own, sever it from the parent plant, and either pot it up to nurse it along for a season, or put directly in the desired growing location.

Good Luck!
Wahrheit

steadfast4life
Newly Registered

Thanks! I wondered about the Rugosa roses. That's welcome news considering the winters here are at times very cold.
Without God's creation, I think I'd just go nuts.

Return to “Rose Forum”