kdf_03

Dog friendly garden...

Does anyone have any experience with stopping dogs from harming (i.e. urinating on) plants? Our backyard looks like a dead dry wasteland, so my sister and I want to revive it. However, she has 3 dogs and they like to relieve themselves on my plants (almost killed a tomato plant and an avocado tree). How can we get them to stop? Or alternately, are there any types of plants that would be able to with stand the abuse? Any recommendations are appreciated. :-)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You could try gardening in raised beds or containers. That was my solution. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

kdf_03

That would probably be the easiest solution :)

The problem is that there are 5 ground level concrete and brick planters that would go to waste :?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The question of how to keep dogs out of the garden has been raised in the recent past. The consensus was that fences were the only secure way to keep large dogs or determined medium-sized dogs out of the veggie patch.

My own two large dogs (girl: small for her breed at 70 lb, boy: avg. at 102 lb) understand that the raised beds are *not theirs*; that they are *mine.* But, because we have an unfenced lot which lets directly onto the sidewalk and the street, the dogs are never outside unless DH is or I am also outside. So there would be immediate feedback if one of them were to investigate....

It's definitely a matter of training, though. A "doggie friend" visited recently and merrily stomped into one of the beds. He's also small for the breed: 65 or so lb. He got the immediate feedback: "[Name,] NO! Come over *here*!" Which he did.

He'll be back here on Monday, so we'll see whether he remembered from the other time. He seemed to enjoy standing in the potato "box."

Fences...I'll go look for the url(s) of the earlier discussion(s).

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13720

And, naturally, a dog-friendly garden will not include shrubs or other plants toxic to dogs:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12857

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

kdf_03

Thanks :-) I am sorry for bringing up a topic already discussed. The funniest thing about the situation is that the big dogs (2 out of the 3) are not really my concern. Its the little one (chihuahua mix). He is the marker and likes to mark my plants. A fence should work for him though :D I was hoping that there might be a way that would prevent having to put up a fence, but I guess there isn't. Thank you again for your help :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

:lol: It's always the little ones that are rowdiest! :lol:

I have a male lab mix and a little 35-lb female something-or-other. I think she's a Rat Terrier, because that's what she acts like, but I was told when I adopted her that she was half Dalmatian and half Blue Heeler. She's the one whose goal in life seems to be to make my backyard look like the surface of the moon! :lol:
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

kdf_03

Yes, our little one is also a crater maker :lol:

The other two eat plants, so we will have to focus on the non-toxic plants. :D

Sharon Marie

get the invisible dog fence that you bury slightly underground. They wear a collar that will spray their snout or make a sound when they go near the area. I have known many to use this. After a while, they just stay away from the area without the spray collar.
Reduce - Reuse - Recycle.
Zone 6A - Jeffersonville, Indiana

Sharon Marie

However, I wouldn't get the shocker one as that is, in my opinion inhumane.

jamesy
Cool Member

Sharon marie , may i ask , how do those invisable fences work ? Ive seen what i suspect is those , looks just like wooden poles stuck in the ground around a yard perimeter.

Sharon Marie

You bury this thin cord around the area you don't want your pets to "leave" the cord is attached to a box of some sort. You then put the collar on your dog and anytime your dog goes within say 8 feet of the area it beeps at him---go five and it beeps louder--go within e foot and it sprays him in the nose with some stinky spray. They work wonders - and they teach dogs realllllly fast!! My friend pet sits for some people who use them and they work wonders!

GeorgiaGirl

My two little munchkins recently started doing this too (they're 8 months old and I guess they're becoming little men! :lol: Of course, since they're still puppies and are hilarious the way they do it, I think it's adorable... I'm sure I wouldn't think so once my plants started dying though!

What I did was similar to the fence suggestion... I bought a bunch of those little 18" high garden edge type fences. It does the trick of keeping them from spraying directly onto a plant, so now they mainly abuse various trees in the wooded section of our lot. :D
However, I wouldn't get the shocker one as that is, in my opinion inhumane.
I was adamant about this too, and in fact we were going to get a physical fence... until we were getting price quotes of $8k and more. :shock: We decided to give the invisible fence a try (the company called "Invisible Fence" -- not one of the cheaper knock-offs) because they said it wasn't this big cruel shock, but just a mild static shock like if you touch a doorknob and get a little zap.

I insisted on walking through the line wearing the collar on my arm to see what it felt like... and they were right, just like when you shock yourself on a doorknob or something, it's surprising and unpleasant, but definitely not cruel or inhumane. It's been the best thing for our pups... they were trained to turn away just when they hear a beep, so I don't even know that they've ever felt the zap, and they're blissfully free to run the full acre property.
Julia in Georgia

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”