Drsweet2006
Newly Registered

drain question

I have a problem with erosion in a spot in my yard. I am a complete Newb to landscaping, so I am looking for some suggestions. The yard next door sits about 6 feet higher than mine, and the slope is quite steep. The 6 foot elevation occurs over about 6 feet (1/1 slope). I have a bad spot of erosion along a fence line that has basically made a 10-12" deep trench about a foot wide right down the slope. I would like to install some sort of drain so I can get grass to grow over this area. I though about a french drain, but I don't know if that is right for this situation. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It's possible that a french drain could remedy your situation, but in cases where the very foundation of the house is at risk, I think most of us would recommend calling a licensed professional (if the relevant profession requires a license in your state).

Professions which might be helpful here are structural/civil engineering, architect, or *maybe* landscaper, but only if said landscaper is also conversant with soils engineering. Sometimes people bill themselves as a "landscaper" but have entered the discipline from the gardening side without shoring up their more quantitative side.

Hope it all works out well for you.

Cynthia H.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

french drain

I have installed french drains with good results. If you can make a dry well that you can run the water in to that is a good thing to do. Other wise just send it some place. Make sure you use the drain pipe cover fabric.

Return to “Landscaping”