all_atv

Trumpet vine cuttings

How do I go about starting trumpet vines from cuttings? Grandma has a few growing but they all look too woody like theyre dead they don't look like they have live buds or even new growth, Or do these resprout from the ground every year with old vines being removed? Grandmas not awake at 2 AM otherwise id call and ask. lol. can i start from dormant plants now or should i start them once hers start growing in the spring time?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd wait for green and start a rooted sucker once they have started growing. Know that once you have one you will soon have many; this one is rampant, to put it nicely...

HG

mootube

There was a method poinetd out on the PFAF listing for a member of the species. If I remember correctly, it didn't go in to too much detail but it still may be helpful. I'll try to find a link.

mootube

No, I was thinking of the wrong plant. The entry for trumpet vin did have propogation info though, which was this:-
Seed - sow spring in a greenhouse at 10°c. Two months stratification at 5°c assists germination[200]. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in a greenhouse for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts. Cuttings of almost ripe wood, 7 - 10cm long, July/August in a frame. Slow to root but a fair percentage[78, 200]. Root cuttings 5cm long in December. Fair to good percentage[78]. Suckers, removed in the dormant season.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi All ATV,

Hope Grandma's trumpet vine - campsis radicans hasn't leafed out yet. You might want to read this first.

When I moved into this house 18 years ago as a renter, I inherited a trumpet vine - campsis radicans. I have learned that it was the last plant to leaf out in the spring and the first to lose it's leaves in the fall. Here's my horror story and what I've learned about this vine. Over time the vine began to bloom and pop up everywhere in the yard. I would pull the sprouts only to find more year after year. When it pops up in the lawn it can just be mowed. After 13 years we purchased the house and had to cut down 5 trees and regrade the land due to overplanting and flooding. When we dug up the stumps from the trees and regraded we discovered roots of the vine 3' to 4' deep in the soil, up to 30' from the parent plant and as large around as my wrist! We dug and dug and, well you get the point. A year later we still had sprouts coming up from bits of roots that we'd missed.

Here is how I've learned you can get rid of it. Now, up until this point I had NEVER used herbicides or pesticides in the garden. Here's what I did and you can do to get rid of it. Put about an inch of Round Up Weed and Grass Killer Super Concentrate (you could also use Brush B Gone) in a clear plastic container with a tight fitting lid like you might get at the deli with potato salad. Cut a slit in the lid and insert the tips of the vine in the solution when in active growth (has leaves on it and the leaves need to be in the solution). Leave the vines in the solution for 48 hours and then cut the vines near the lid. To remove the vine from the lid, be sure and take the container to a safe place so that no solution splashes on anything precious. You can reuse the solution until it is all absorbed. Everytime I find a new sprout I do this same procedure. So far there have been no sprouts from areas that were treated this way.

Still want to grow this? How about a nice native honeysuckle that won't take over the world, semi-evergreen in my zone 7 garden, blooms from May to hard frost, pretty flowers with hummingbirds for summer entertainment, berries in the fall and winter with more birds for entertainment and it's a dream to look at.

Lonicera sempervirens 'Blanche Sandman'
https://oakmediacreations.com/myg/plants/closeup.mv?PlantID=000116
https://www.northcreeknurseries.com/Plants/Lonicera%20sempervirens%20'Blanche%20Sandman'.htm

Newt

Trumpet vine

If your grandma likes them .Id say why not get some for her you can take cutting by cutting the new growth below a leave bud root them by getting some willow branches stick them in water along with your cuttings they should root .But the best is get some roots from your plant that you have they will grow .Make sure that you prune it back every spring It makes it flower and keeps it from spreading and being a problem

Newt
Greener Thumb

Sharon, pruning back campsis radicans - trumpet vine will not keep it from spreading!!! It spreads by underground roots that can go 40 feet or more from the parent plant. I pruned mine every single spring for 13 years, and when we had to regrade and dig out tree stumps, we found the roots as much as 30' from the parent plant and as deep as 3' to 4' in the soil. Never tell someone that pruning it will keep it from spreading. They get very few seed pods. It's the root system that is so vigorous.

If anyone is going to share this vine with someone they should warn them about it's habit.

Newt

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”