earlsta
Newly Registered

My bonsai Azalea - non flowering is sick :( help I'm new

Hey people, I'm from Australia.
I have a small azalea bonsai recieved as a gift.
I have been very carefull in watering this, only once a few days, sticking a toothpick into the soil..to see if it sticks to see if its damp.
Well anyway the leave tips have turned brown now, as well as some of the branches :(. I think it maybe dying, any ideas on what I should do?
Thanks

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Is your plant inside?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Leaf tips are usually watering issues; too much or too little. What's your regimen?

HG

earlsta
Newly Registered

I water it every two days, leave it outside, I had it outside, tips are brown

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Light conditions? Weather?

HG

earlsta
Newly Registered

hey there well the weather has been around 30degrees C, that's about 110F I think..?
It's been pretty hot, at night it tends to get a little cold, I saw a little web on the tree, could that damage it? a little spider web from a daddy long legs?
I've put it inside now, I heard you can keep them for up to 2-3 days inside, so I'll see how I go.
I give it full sun all day, a little bit of shade at around 3pm til 6pm

Big Daddy
Newly Registered

I live in Melbourne too, our weather has been very dramatic, I'd say the plant has really dried out.
Also when you water if it has been really dry the root ball sort of closes up and doesn't take up water as well, try submerging the bonsai in a bucket of water up to it's trunk and leave it in there till air bubbles stop coming to the surface from the soil. Then water it every few days from then on and see how you go. with the spider webs just rub them off with your fingers it's easy and chemical free !
Good luck

earlsta
Newly Registered

thanks for ur help! ill try submerging it in water now! il get back to you

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, by the sounds of things, your tree has probably dried out. I agree with the above advice.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”