beetlegauss
Newly Registered

Mint Disease

I've been growing some mint, and recently have seen some type of disease with the leaves. They are developing black spots that enlargen and eventually cause the leaves to drop. The areas that are blackened are very flat, smooth, and "crisp." I also have an aphid problem, so could that be contributing to the spread of the disease? Does anyone know what this is and the possible treatmens for it? Thank you very much.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

For the aphids, try a weekly dose of neem oil. You can buy neem oil at local nursaries. Read up on the product in the Neem Oil thread located in the General Forum

Unfortunately I do not know about the black spots that your plants are affected with. But, I am sure that someone else will have some advice.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Aphids are sucking insects and often vector (introduce) fungal diseases while they are poking holes in your plant. The neem oil should take care of both...

Scott

beetlegauss
Newly Registered

Ah, I've tried that, and the black spots actually came sometime after i tried the neem. Plus, i think the neem makes the mint taste bitter. It was suggested to me that I increase air circulation? I'm growing all of this indoors, so right now I'm trying to see how a fan would help. Thanks a lot for your advice!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Did you dilute the neem with water at the suggested rate? Could be the black spots are a phytotoxic reaction to the neem in too strong a mix or it might be too bright (which magnifies in a bead of oil, burning the leaf). Just throwing ideas out here; images would help...neem indeed has a taste that makes washing a needed step after its use;l should have said that :oops:

Scott

Return to “Perennials”