Liam
Newly Registered

What are these creatures in my compost?

Can someone please identify some dots in my compost bin? They move and cover mostly fresh greens, but also cover older browns? Are they good for my compost? They are too small to describe, but they are small and white. Please help!
Liam V.

Diane
Green Thumb

I see all types of tiny things in my compost. I just pile it up on the ground and cover it with trash barrel covers. When I lift the lids I move back. lol
Gardens are a little bit of heaven on earth.

https://s600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87 ... G00047.jpg

docta orchid
Newly Registered

They can be soldier fly larvae. I had them in my wormery, and thought they are going to harm the earthworms. but they are quite beneficial.

Try the link:

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/story.php?S_No=802&storyType=garde

Liam
Newly Registered

I don't think their soldier flies, but thanks for giving advice if i get them :) the dots are very small, pin head small. If anyone has these and knows what they are pls reply!!
Liam V.

nes
Green Thumb

Do they sort of hop around like fleas?

(not that I know what those are, just that I've seen those before)
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

applestar
Mod

I don't bother to look too closely at my compost pile denizens, especially when there are fresh materials in there. There are bound to be many "dots," moving and unmoving, that are all doing their part to break down the pile into the much anticipated black gold. If seeing them bothers you, sprinkle some soil or straw over them, or simply give the pile another turn. :wink:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

the ones that jump like fleas are almost definitely collembolans, aka springtails.

Return to “Composting Forum”