ahawryluk
Newly Registered

Establishing Transplanted Lilac

Hello, last month I bought an Ivory Silk Japanese Tree Lilac. Its a beautiful tree, about 10feet tall already, but has been cut back from being a cramped greenhouse. When we planted it, it had a very small root ball and despite our efforts to stake it, has fallen over a couple of times due to some major wind gusts through our back yard. Does anyone have advice to best help the root growth? Do I water it well? Dry it out? Should I just continue to use root booster every couple of weeks? Thanks in advance for your advice.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I do not think you can speed the development on the root system that much. I had to transplant my 3-yr old and noticed some growth but nothing to write home about.

I would add some phospohorus and pottasium to facilitate the development of a good root system but consider a 2nd location if the winds remain troublesome. Lilacs do not respond to fertilizers like roses do.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Don't know root booster, but if you mean [url=https://www.mycorrhiza.com/]mycorrhizae[/url], then yes, an addition every week or so until it finds its feet is fine.

And stake it solid; two, even three stakes if it needs it to hold it STILL. Every little root hair that breaks as it wobbles is a loss of nutrition and possible point of entry for disease. It MUST be solid...

HG

Return to “Lilacs Forum”