diane777
Newly Registered

new here and I think I killed my hydragnea

We bought the hydragnea last week and 2 days later we got an exceptionally cold night (in the 30s with frost). We completely forgot that the plant was outside and now the leaves are all drooping and the once beautiful blooms are dead.

Can I save it???

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum Diane!
First thing - breath - don't panic!
Do you know what variety of hydrangea it is? There should be a tag on it to tell you what it is. Some hydrangeas are hardier than others.
My first thought though is that no, you have not killed it. You have given it quite a shock though!
To help it recover, first put it somewhere where it will stay at a warm constant temperature, with lots of light. Trim off all of the dead or dying flowers. (don't worry, it will flower again!) Keep it watered, but not water logged, and let it re-cuperate. You could give it a drink of alfalfa tea for a bit of a boost if you are so inclined (recipe in either Rose Care Forum or Organic Forum). You will no doubt lose some of the leaves as well, remove them when they begin to die.
Soon, though, you will see it begin to turn around and grow again. 8)
Get back to us with which type of hydrangea it is and we can be more exact for you though.
Feel free to return with any other questions, or just to chat anytime!
Relax! It will be okay! :wink:

Val
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

And that's the best advice, relax. Val offers all good advice, but the last is the best...

HG

diane777
Newly Registered

Thank you. I've been trying to keep it in the house at night. Our weather is crazy down in South Louisiana. It could be 80 degrees during the day and suddenly in the 40s at night.

I've also been watering it. I've always wanted one of these plants and as soon as I get one I let it down.

Thanks

Diane

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You're very welcome!! I'm sure it will be fine. Get back to us and let us know how you make out. Feel free to stop by with any other questions or even just to chat! :wink:

Val
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”