ashland97520

Quail: Friend or Foe?

I've been seeing a pack of quail visiting my garden recently. My bird guide does not tell me whether they are garden-friendly or not. All the other local birds that I make an effort to attract are beneficial to our garden. Does anyone know about quail? (our cats seems to be intimidated by them for some odd reason)
Rocky

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I found one reference ("How Stuff Works") which referred to the diet of quail as "weed seeds and insects." They are ground-dwellers, so weeds and grasses would be right up their alley. (The bird guide should have a page somewhere showing the different shapes of beaks/bills birds can have and how these shapes directly relate to the diet of specific species of bird.)

And any creature which eats insects can't be all bad...I could do with some help vs. aphids, particularly...

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Any kind of "lady bug" beatle will eat aphids, I've seen a few of them around but not to much.
Why buy produce when you can grow it?
-Nick

ashland97520

My instinct is to trust them. After all, how could such a cute critter be bad? Seriously tho, I see them hiding out in my larger plants and inbetween rows. Hopefully they are cropping bugs and not leaves.
Rocky

ashland97520

Cynthia: regarding aphids. I had an infestation years ago and cured it with the purchase of several thousand lady beatles. Only minor outbreaks since, and those have been dealt with using worm tea in a spray bottle.
Rocky

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't want to drag your thread off-topic, but my woes with aphids have been chronicled...soapy water spray, lady bugs, worm tea, hand squishing, liquid kelp fertilizer (on the "bolster the plant's immune system" theory), ...

So now I hope for winged deliverance.

Cynthia

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”