dtund
Newly Registered

Birds eating tomatoes

I found a GREAT solution to the problem of birds eating my fruits. Do you know what is an irrigation or construction marker flag? It is a stiff wire, about 18" long with a red flag on the end. I put about 8 of these (1/2 dark red, 1/2 light red) around each tomatoe plant. As the tomatoes ripen, the birds don't notice....they just leave it alone. I used to use nets, which were a hassle. BTW, I don't use cages; I let vines run on ground on top of my paper & stepping stone weed block....it works better for me. Send a reply with your e-address and I'll send you a photo.

[img]https://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss274/dtunderwood/plants/redflagsappearasfruit.jpg[/img]
Last edited by dtund on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am enjoying success growing misc garden veggies as well as figs, pears, grapes, muscadines, and lots of wild blackberries.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I don't usually have a problem with birds pecking my fruit. Don't know why not, as have many, many birds of various species. Your solution to the problem is most ingenious!
Last edited by hendi_alex on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

That is a cool idea. I bet you could hang Christmas tree RED glass balls on the wire cages to fool the birds too.

I don't have a problem with birds. I keep water in the yard I think as long as the birds have water to drink they never bother my tomatoes. I have 25 bird houses and birds are never a problem. Bugs are no problem either.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

dtund, I'm sure all of us at THG would like to see photos of your weed-block method which lets the tomatoes grow as the true vines they are.

Please see the webmaster's guide on posting photos here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

I'll definitely look at your pix! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”