itri4vt
Newly Registered

too late to plant moonflower seeds?

Hi,

My seeds were on backorder for a long time, and now I've finally got them, but I think it's too late. Is it too late to plant moonflower seeds? I'm in western NC and I want to give some to my parents in northern VA (both zone 5b).

Also, should I plant them in a pot first then move them outside?

Thanks! :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If you are talking about moon flower that is in the bean family, with a bean shaped seed, I would be comfortable planting some now. Since the weather has finally warmed, the seeds will sprout quickly and plants will take off. My seeds that were planted several weeks ago are just now beginning to run. I usually plant mine in small pots, then transplant to gallon pots and then plant them in their final destination. But have also direct seeded them with good success.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

itri4vt
Newly Registered

moonflowers

I am talking about the moonflowers that are related to morning glories, also called the Ipomoea Giant White because it's a vine with big white blossoms on it that bloom at night.

I haven't opened the seeds yet b/c if I wait until next year I am afraid to open them b/c they might go bad. I think they are bean-shaped.

So it's worth it to try and grow a few of these even though they say to plant early in the season?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Yes, we are talking about the same thing. Mine are vining with large white flowers. They should still have plenty of time to grow and bloom. Would assume your first frost won't be until late September or Early October. Once you grow moonflowers, it is easy to just save seeds for the next season.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Return to “Perennials”