Jimny
Newly Registered

Help with identifaction of a flower

What kind of flower is this?
[img]https://www.lj10.com/flower/flower.JPG[/img]

hippygrassgirl

im not sure what kind of flower this is, but it is the coolest flower i have ever seen.. its so differant, good luck in finding what flower this is! let us all know when you do, very curious!
Im a dirty girl......cause im always in my garden,lol!!

plkelly

It's a Passion Flower. It's a vine right? At least, I don't know of any that don't grow on a vine.

My mother in law used to grow these--the structural parts of the flower tell the story of the "Passion". She pointed them all out to me, but I'm not sure I could pick them out. A cross and other symbols of the Passion.

Anyway, that's where she said it got the name, but I never researched it to see if she was correct. I may go look now that I've made myself curious. Good luck with them!
Patsy

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
--Margaret Atwood

plkelly

found this in Wickopedia:
Etymology and names
Blue Passion Flower (Passiflora caerulea), showing most of the "Passion of Christ" characters.

Popularly, passionflowers and especially passionfruit are frequently used with sexual or romantic innuendo, giving rise to such uses as a one-time soft drink named Purple Passion. The "Passion" in "passion flower" does not refer to sex and love however, but to the passion of Jesus Christ. In the 15th and 16th centuries, Spanish Christian missionaries adopted the unique physical structures of this plant, particularly the numbers of its various flower parts, as symbols of the last days of Jesus Christ and especially the Crucifixion:

* The pointed tips of the leaves were taken to represent the Holy Lance.
* The tendrils represent the whips used in the Flagellation of Christ.
* The ten petals and sepals represent the ten faithful apostles (less St. Peter the denier and Judas Iscariot the betrayer).
* The flower's radial filaments, which can number more than a hundred and vary from flower to flower, represent the Crown of Thorns.
* The chalice-shaped ovary with its receptacle represents a hammer or the Holy Grail
* The 3 stigmata represent the 3 nails and the 5 anthers below them the 5 wounds (four by the nails and one by the lance).
* The blue and white colors of many species' flowers represent Heaven and Purity.

The flower has been given names related to this symbolism throughout Europe since that time. In Spain, it is known as espina de Cristo ("Christ's Thorn"). Old German names[12] are Christus-Krone ("Christ's Crown"), Christus-Strauss ("Christ's Bouquet"[13]), Dorn-Krone ("Crown of Thorns"), Jesus-Leiden ("Jesus' Passion"), Marter ("Passion"[14]) or Muttergottes-Stern ("Mother of God's Star"[15]).

Outside the Christian heartland, the regularly-shaped flowers have reminded people of the face of a clock; in Israel they are known as "clock-flower" (שעונית), and in Japan they are called tokeisō (時計草, "clock plant"). In Hawaiian, they are called lilikoʻi; lī is a string used for tying fabric together, such as a shoelace, and liko means "to spring forth leaves".[16]

In northern Peru and Bolivia, the banana passionfruits are known as tumbos. This is one possible source of the name of the Tumbes Region of Peru.
Patsy

--Margaret Atwood

Jimny
Newly Registered

Thank you very much!

It is such a beautiful flower. I have a field in my front yard and it was growing in it, it might have been a vine, I'll look and see this year when it blooms.

thrr3ee

Yep definently a passion flower. It is a vine. I believe it's tropical (or at least out of my zone range) so we grow it as a houseplant here, kicking it out in the summer and bringing it back inside for the winter.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There's one growing on my block. It's in bloom right now. Maybe it's frost-sensitive or just can't tolerate a hard freeze?

We had only one episode of a hard freeze (below 28 deg. F) this just-past winter that I can remember, and this passion-flower vine on the other side of my street appears fairly established. It might be 2 or 3 years old? Unless it grows like kudzu, in which case maybe it was planted 2 or 3 weeks ago... :wink:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

plkelly

It grows as a perennial vine here -- zone 6 or 7, depending on who you believe. We get temperatures around zero most years, sometimes dipping lower, but not too often.

Inspired by Cynthia, I've recently started looking into Sunset book gardening zones: they seem to be much more specific, but I can't remember right now what I identified our area as. Anyway, it definitely freezes here, and my mother-in-law's plant grew up the side of her porch every year without fail.
Patsy

--Margaret Atwood

hassenpfeffer

Passion flowers are pretty neat looking, and I believe the fruit is edible too.
hassenpfeffer- German rabbit stew... as you might imagine I hate those pests(rabbits) =P

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:There's one growing on my block. It's in bloom right now. Maybe it's frost-sensitive or just can't tolerate a hard freeze?

We had only one episode of a hard freeze (below 28 deg. F) this just-past winter that I can remember, and this passion-flower vine on the other side of my street appears fairly established. It might be 2 or 3 years old? Unless it grows like kudzu, in which case maybe it was planted 2 or 3 weeks ago... :wink:
My Mom (Los Angeles, zone 24) has a kudzu-like passion fruit vine. It didn't do much for the first 3 years, but then someone flipped its switch and it went on a rampage.

It's covered the entire fence and is spilling into the neighbor's yard. It makes bushels of incredible purple fruit faster than she can pick them and give them away.

She doesn't ever water or fertilize it. It's just growing on its own.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”