JamieDo
Newly Registered

Container Gardening and Sphagnum Peat

Hi all,

I've been growing a container garden on my deck in Boston for a number of years. In getting my supplies for this season, I was told that I could mix my potting soil with peat moss as a way to reduce how much potting soil I would have to buy. I used a 30/70 peat/soil mix for each container (there are about 30) and have noticed that my Asiatic Lilies are not doing so well. My mom had said that she doesn't use peat in her garden as it has an effect of making the soil acidic. Thoughts?

I'm in a bit of a panic because I find so much serenity in my garden during the summer months. I'd hate to realize that I did my plants more harm than good in mixing the soil with peat.

Thanks friends,
Jamie

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Not all plants fair well in peat. My recommendation would be to use regular potting soil, as peat has often lead to the destruction of many of my plants.
הדמיון הוא יותר חשוב מאשר ידע

JamieDo
Newly Registered

Anything I can do without completely re-potting all of my plants?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Not really. The main problem I've found with peat is it holds to much water sometimes. This may not be the case with what you're doing, and if so it should be okay.
הדמיון הוא יותר חשוב מאשר ידע

HecatesMoon

Having an issue with my organic soil

I transplanted my hibiscus into an organic soil mix that has peat moss, bits of bark, etc, and I've been having trouble with it ever since. It is blooming and blooming, but it's also getting yellow leaves. I will have to repot this plant for the third time :| The first time I potted it in just a cheap common potting soil, the second time in the organic mix....I don't know what to put it in now.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”