Cherry534
Newly Registered

Two new incoming bonsai

Hello,
My name is Emily and i live in Philadelphia.Iam somewhat new to Bonsai. I have acuired some great books and have a dwarf brush cherry, pink snow rose, and bougenvilla, which i have had succesfully for a year now. I just orderes two mini three inch starters, an azalea chin san, and an Acer plumera maple. I would like to try root over rock with one of these varieties. Wold one be easier? Or look better than the other? I have read the basics on this and know i have to grow out the roots for at least one year. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me on the easiest way to do this. I also know these are outdoor variety but i live in an apartment and will keep them indoor year round. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and im happy to join!
Em

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Glad to have you here... :D

The azalea is a fibrous rooter so it's right out. It's the maple.

Here's my sensei's method; put the rock in a plastic nursery container (fill with gravel so the top of the rock is just a few inches below the rim of the pot)Fill the pot with soil so that the top of the rock is BARELY covered, plant your starter on top of that, finish with soil. Grow a year.

Year Two. Cut away about an inch of the top of the pot. Wash away excess soil. Make first branch selections.

Year Three. Cut away about an inch of the top of the pot. Wash away excess soil. Pinch back first leaves. Fine prune as necessary.

Year Four. Cut away about an inch of the top of the pot. Wash away excess soil. Pinch back first leaves. Getting the picture?

Around year seven or so you have a true bonsai, that will impress your friends and astound your neighbors (when you tell them how patient you were)...

HG

Cherry534
Newly Registered

Hello,
Thank you for your help. That sounds like a much easier method than some of the ones i have heard. And i know that the key is patience, which most people don't have :shock: . But I'm going for it anyhow! As for the light, if i were to keep them as indoor bonsai does the shade still apply? I know in winter they are dormant and need a cool place out of direct sun. Can they be shade, inddors in spring/ summer? Thanks again. Oh! And i was born and raised in Ct. We only moved here a year ago for college. We're from Colchester. i worked at Salem Country Gardens for two years. Ever been?
Em
Ps sorry for the lenght of time before reply, i registered with an older e mail and done check it as often. Ill have to change that :? ....

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Cherry!

I live in Colchester now, and Joe asked me to manage Salem once upon a time (he bought it from Dave), so YEAH, I know it... :D I got our bonsai group there for meetings for a long while (China Trade Bonsai Society)...small world... :D

Neither of those trees are indoors types; both should be outdoors as much as possible. Mine are out in my garage at this point; you have to find a spot like that to keep these or they will decline slowly (had a poor lady who took PERFECT care of her trees and didn't give them a good dormancy and she lost them five years in. It's awful important...

Scott

Cherry534
Newly Registered

Hello Scott,
Wow, it is a small world! I am a little bummed about my plants as i already love them and want them to thrive :( Is there any way i can winter them over in my refridgerator? I used a thermometer today to check the temp and it is 37.6 degrees. Is this possible to try? Since i am in an apartment i have no area like a garage to use as a cold room but i read on the web they need to winter at between 32 and 40 degrees. I also have a bougenvilla which needs a dormant period too. What should i do? I would really appreciate help , and plan not to get anymore outdoor varieties till i have a house :roll: ,
Thanks,
Em

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You could for the maple, but the azalea will need light. The bougainvillea won't need a dormant period; it's tropical...

Maybe you could trade at a local garden center?

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”