HAMSPAM
Newly Registered

DYING UNKNOWN BONSAI

HI HAVE HAD MY BONSAI FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS WAS FINE UNTIL A FEW DAYS AGO THE LEAVES HAVE ALL DRIED UP AND FALLING OFF! I HAVE BEEN WATERING AND MISTING IT, IS IT A GOOD THING TO LEAVE THE DROOPY DRIED UP LEAVES HANGING OR WOULD IT BE BEST TO HELP THEM OFF? IF I GENTLY BLOW ON THE TREE LOADS OF THEM FALL! HAVE TRIED TO ADD A PICTURE OF THE TREE TO THIS TO HELP IDENTIFY IT BUT CANT SEEM TO WORK OUT HOW TO GET IT ON HERE PLEASE HELP MANY THANKS KATIE

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

How often are you watering your tree? You may be overwatering it. Yes, I would remove any spent leaves.

A lot of trees that people seem to be getting for Christmas have those glued rock surfaces on top, I find it hard to believe that water would get to the roots if you have this and are surface watering your plant. So, that could also be problem.

HAMSPAM
Newly Registered

HI THANKS FOR THE REPLY, IT IS IN A RECTANGULAR POT, POSSIBLY HAVE OVER WATERED IT AND MISTED IT BUT SO MANY DIFFERENT THEORIES I'VE READ AND BEEN TOLD IT GETS CONFUSING! NEARLY ALL THE LEAVES ARE SHRIVELLED YOU THINK I SHOULD GET THEM ALL OFF AND HOPE THEYWILL GROW BACK? CANT SEEM TO GET THE PICTURE ADDED TO THIS MESSAGE WHICH WOULD HELP IN IDENTIFYING IT!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It may be a ficus tree but, I would have to see it to discern what type of tree it is.

If the leaves are dead, there is no reason to leave them on the tree so, just take them off and keep the soil moist and keep your fingers crossed. That's really all you can do now.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Need to know what tree, but in the meantime, take off those brown leaves. They will further stress a plant trying to keep them alive . And check your soil for moisture content; if it's soggy just mist branches until the surface dries, then check in again. Either a confirmed I.D. or an image would help a lot...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”