pj12181

winter blue star

hey hey its been a while but i have another question. Its winter here in cleveland and my blue star jupiper is just find however im a bit wery...is there any helpful tips you nice people can give me to ensure the health of my first and favioret tree...thanks friends. winter in cleveland ohio.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Is your tree outside?

pj12181

yes it is and it seems okay

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You'd look a little weary too! Winter is rough in Cleveland (I'll be in Columbus in a couple of weeks...)

What kind of protection do you have for it outside?

HG

pj12181

no proptection but its under a overhang. it gets water because of the rainy waether but now its freezing again. I do have an indoor green space its cold but no wind or frost. should i put it their and keep it misted? I got a camera for x mas ill post a photo when i have time. Thanks again for your interest. Peace.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey PJ,

The indoors spot sounds better; eliminates wind damage aand that tree can burn. Any tree as tight in the foliage as 'Blue Star' can be mite bait and the indoor spot might help overwinter mites. Here's what to do; get any brown foliage out of the inside of the plant (tweezers are great). You are already talking aboout misting; try once wiith neem oil early this winter and again as it's coming out of dormancy. I wouldn't mist with water as twig blight (Kabatina early and phomopsis later in the year are both juniper killers) is a possibility. Sounds like you have a good spot though and lots of folks who write in don't...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”