fezziwig
Newly Registered

Hi everyone. I have a sick baby pine tree. Need help please.

Hello everyone. My daughter brought home a baby pine tree from school for Arbor day. I planted it in a large pot and have watered it three times a week as the instructions said. It had a lot of brown needles especially towards the bottom when I first took it out of the bag. Now two weeks later the whole tree is brown. I followed the instructions when I planted it. It didnt say exactly what kind of pine it is. and my daughter doesnt know either. Can it be saved? Help please. :cry:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If all the needles have turned brown, I'm afraid it's a goner. My opinion, anyway. :(

Have you been keeping it indoors? In my experience, those little evergreen tree starts really don't much like to be indoors. I think the air is too dry for them. Around here, they send Doug fir starts home with the kids. I never managed to get one to survive, although I've grown pine trees from seed. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

fezziwig
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid it was a goner. I really hate to see anything die. Heck I feel bad pulling weeds. The tree was in a pot on my patio. It looked pretty bad from the start. I live in the midwest and we have had a lot off rain lately. Maybe I over watered it? Anyway thanks again. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, it might have drowned, since you were watering it, and it was getting a lot of rain, too. I meant to mention the 3-times-a-week waterings seemed a bit frequent to me, but I got distracted. Sorry about that.

I'm sorry you lost the tree. :(

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”