jena227
Newly Registered

Ideas for wedding landscaping??

We're having our wedding in our yard in 3 months (zone 6/7). We're planting purple bean hyacinth along the road for privacy, and will probably use some gladiolas, since it sounds like you can do successive plantings for guaranteed bloom. We are open to any colors, just want lots of blooms on Aug 21!! Our front yard is about a half acre and has some full sun and a section with lots of shade under 4 huge oak trees(probably where the ceremony will be). Any and all suggestions/ideas much appreciated!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

wedding landscaping

The easiest way to be sure you will have blooms at the right time is to plant lots of annuals that just keep pumping flowers out til frost. In your shady areas, begonias and impatiens would be good, In sunnier spots, cosmos, zinnias, dahlia (if you like big showy flowers--it's actually a tender perennial which you can dig up and bring in for the winter), nicotiana (which is also fragrant), petunias, globe amaranth. Be sure to plant some hanging baskets--it puts the color up at eye level where it is much more striking. If you want to add some perennials, cardinal flower would be brilliant in your shady area. For sun black eyed susans, verbena, gaillardia should all be blooming at the right time. But you will have to buy these as good sized plants from a nursery. Starting perennials from seed, they likely don't bloom the first year. Some varieties of clematis would be blooming when you want and they also have large very showy flowers. It's a vine, so needs trellis or something to grow up. It likes morning sun with some shade in the afternoon.

jena227
Newly Registered

Thanks so much! There's a lot of flowers there that I've never even heard of and most I didn't know much about. I am starting to look each one up to learn more. I like the idea of putting some color up at eye level as well, I hadn't even thought of that! Annuals will be our big help this year and I think we can find some cheap ones at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks again!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Jena, think about springing for some shrubs and perennials as well, as some bigger pieces will make it look more like garden and less like a bouquet. The other side of that is when the wedding is over and then winter rolls around, followed by spring, you have some bang of your buck still, as shrubs and perennials add to your garden for years to come... annuals are certainly a good way to go to add color, but don't forget to add some form as well...

[url=https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/26630-product.html]Clematis paniculata[/url] would be great, covered with white, fragrant flowers. [url=https://www.finegardening.com/plantguide/clematis-tangutica-golden-tiara-russian-virgins-bower.aspx]C. tangutica[/url] would be another good choice; even if it has started to go to seed the seed heads are as good a show as the flowers, sort of silvery and delicate. It's common name is Russian virgin's bower, but I guess you'd have to check with the bride and groom to see if that's apropos... :lol: Nice call RG!

HG
Scott Reil

Return to “Landscaping”