IOWABOY
Newly Registered

dwarf banana?

Well my replacement dwarf banana tree came the other day and I am wanting to know if any on the site has any tips for me....not really good with indoor plants. I know I know they say to use some chemical filled bottle every month but I am an all organic person. Do not even use it on outside plants....think that is why it is hard to grow with out it because it gets in the seeds and stuff....

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Banana trees should be planted outside for best results, I believe. :?
~ Julie

Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well... Emerson

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've got a couple of drawf banana trees that overwinter in the greenhouse but stay outside during the summer. They seem to be thriving and are now about four to five feet tall and are developing side shoots. Right now I am using osmocote, but next year will switch over to a more natural concoction including compost, and a mix of cotton meal, blood meal, bone meal, kelp meal, lime and ironite. Banana trees like to stay constantly moist but not heavily wet. So make sure your soil has plenty of perlite or similar component for good drainage. Be sure to read up about how and when to cut back the main trunk after fruit production. I recently got first hand instruction on that from a local in Belize.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Rikesh

Banana trees are best planted outside. And water it often as banana trees needs lots of water.

IOWABOY
Newly Registered

prob. should of said this on the first part of thread...it is a dwar dwarf banana as in the link (and were i bought it to:)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Folks, the man is in IOWA, not Tahiti...

Gonna need a pretty big container eventually, but right now a five gallon size should be good. Kepp it outside with some shade from afternoon sun, but you will need to shift that container into a shed or screen porch or garage or indoors for the winter...

HG
Scott Reil

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I ordered two Dwarf Cavendish plants last year. They were about 8 inches tall upon arrival. This year I ordered a Double, which is a variation of the Dwarf Cavendish, that generally makes double clusters of bananas. After one summer, plus overwintering in the greenhouse, those original two plants are now about 7 feet tall counting their approximate 3 gallon containers. The Double that just came this spring is about two feet tall. One of last year's plants has two large offshoots and the other is just starting to form a couple of offshoots. Here are a few photos.

Purchased last spring.
[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/3505069966_6b3e14fd65.jpg[/img]

Side shoots forming.
[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3333/3504259039_fa2ae79340.jpg[/img]

New Double Cavendish plant.
[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3505070654_af196fed95.jpg[/img]
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”