karmachelle

What's wrong with my basil?

My basil seemed to be doing just fine since I planted the seeds in peat pots on 3/20, but the past few days the basil has been looking half dead. I thought maybe I didn't water enough, but when I felt the bottom of the peat pots they were still damp. I currently have the basil indoors in a south facing window. Could too much or not enough sun be the culprit?
Any advice would be appreciated!

[img]https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l150/michelleobrock/Garden/Basilbad.jpg[/img]

There it is!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Most likely too much water. Peat pots are killers... they hold water and keep the seedlings wet all the time, which they hate. They are better off in plastic pots or even dixie cups with holes in the bottom. Otherwise, be sure to let them dry out on the surface before watering again. Second choice would be not enough light, but that usually results in tall spindly plants, which is not what yours look like (thanks for the picture!). Good luck, congratulations on getting started growing your own... :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

That is almost definitely a bad case of sunscald. Don't know if they will make it or not. First the plants are very tender, and should be hardened off prior to getting direct sunlight. Secondly, sunlight passing directly through a window pane can act even harsher than sunlight from an open sky. For any tender plant, you need to have some kind of sheer or light diffuser to soften the intensity, especially from a south facing window.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would agree with Alex ... and Rainbow, too! :lol:

I think your plants are too close to the south window. When light passes through glass, it creates quite a lot of heat. It would burn delicate little seedlings, and would probably dry out the surface of the soil rapidly too, which might lead you to overwater.

Pull your plants back away from the glass. They might still survive, but I think it will mostly depend on whether the roots can recover from the excess water. JMO. :)

karmachelle

I've taken your advice and removed the basil from direct sun. I also let it dry out a little and then watered lightly from bottom.

So far the basil doesn't look any better, but the good news is, it doesn't look any worse either!

Thanks for your advice!

Chelle

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The leaves that are scalded are permanently so and won't get better. But if it likes the new treatment, the new leaves that come out will be fine.

karmachelle

So should I cut off the yellowed (but not dead) leaves?

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”