Earl K
Green Thumb

Will Squirrels go after pole beans

Im about to plant some beans to grow up a fence which squirrels travel frequently.Will they go after them and if so what to do to deter them.It is a 6 ft. board on board fence which i plan to screw little eyelits into and run twine through to support the vines,Any suggestions? thanks in advance. Earl K

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have a lot of squirls in my yard I have nest boxes for the squirls in the trees. The squirls do not bother my garden. I plant beans, tomatoes, squash, okra, carrots, onions, potatoes, corn and maybe a few other things I can not think of at the moment. The squirls like the corn only after it gets ripe and they eat the apples too but only after they get ripe. I have about 6 or 8 squirls now and about May I should have a new litter usually 4 new babies squirls every spring and every fall. I plant some herbs and I have blackberries and I have never noticed the squirls eating them either.

Earl K
Green Thumb

Thanks for the info 350, I wont worry bout them.

2cents
Green Thumb

Squirrel leaves most everything alone.
They love sunflower seeds. Had a pack of ten planted in a raised bed. They dug up 3-4 a night till they ate all 10.
:evil:
IMHO

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I still think squirrels are Satan's children. They are pure evil. :twisted:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Dear Charlie,

You are SOOOO right.

I generally avoid violent acts, but squirrels inspire me to fantasies of incredibly violent acts....

I lost two complete sunflower heads (out of only 10 plants) to squirrel damage last year. I also lost untold numbers of seedlings to squirrels digging them up to bury peanut shells (!). :x The peanut shells also mean that at least one of my benighted neighbors is feeding the d*mned squirrels. :evil:

My neighbors are much too close by (our lot is only 50' x 100') for any realistic use of a slingshot or--ahem--other hand-eye coordination equipment :wink: to be of use, and I won't use poisons on principle: too many unintended secondary victims.

But I do wish a raccoon would take 'em out...Not that I like raccoons, either, having fought them off in Berkeley with many strong blasts of water from the hose. But raccoons could really do me a favor by battling with the squirrels. A strong and adventurous neighborhood cat wouldn't go amiss, either...

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:Dear Charlie,

You are SOOOO right.

I generally avoid violent acts, but squirrels inspire me to fantasies of incredibly violent acts....

I lost two complete sunflower heads (out of only 10 plants) to squirrel damage last year. I also lost untold numbers of seedlings to squirrels digging them up to bury peanut shells (!). :x The peanut shells also mean that at least one of my benighted neighbors is feeding the d*mned squirrels. :evil:

My neighbors are much too close by (our lot is only 50' x 100') for any realistic use of a slingshot or--ahem--other hand-eye coordination equipment :wink: to be of use, and I won't use poisons on principle: too many unintended secondary victims.

But I do wish a raccoon would take 'em out...Not that I like raccoons, either, having fought them off in Berkeley with many strong blasts of water from the hose. But raccoons could really do me a favor by battling with the squirrels. A strong and adventurous neighborhood cat wouldn't go amiss, either...

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

AndI thought I was alone. Search "my squirrel wars " on this sight if you hate squirrels as I do. I think my buddy Wing enjoyed it.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Squirrels are a mast foodsource for a trophic level of predators we have mostly run off (like bobcats and foxes and such). Squirrels adapt to human habitation (face it we feed and house them nicely, while we run off their predators. What's not to like?) so blame the squirrels? :? Doesn't seem fair unless we become the replacement predator. Squirrel pie, anyone?

Feed them seperately, and if you have lots of immediate neighbors, be sure to ask if the kids have peanut allergies before you feed peanuts (they bury them in the kids yard, and the kid gets sick; happened in my town). I don't anymore...

If they are fed then the garden is safer, but I have no issues to speak of other than the occasional gnawed thistle bag...

HG
Scott Reil

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Scott, if I could catch them I'd find a bobcat to feed them to. Great idea but I'm but that fast anymore.

Dannyo

Squirrels can and will eat almost anything you plant. especially corn, it seems like they always know to feast the day before you plan to harvest too :shock: little jerks.

I find them entertaining to watch in my yard though and I know I won't be getting rid of them any time soon, but my grandfather taught me to keep them fed by use of feeders or something or other, and they will go for the easiest source of food available, leaving the garden alone.

Feeders can be made easily and cheap, and as long as you keep something in there for them to nibble at the garden and your hobby/investment is safe.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'm with ya Dannyo...

HG
Scott Reil

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”