girlingarden
Newly Registered

Tropical plants under pine trees?

I live in Zone 9b-10. I was wondering if anyone knows of any tropical-looking plants that would work under mature pine trees. The area is quite dry, even with a drip irrigation system for the plants. The area also gets about 4 hours of intense afternoon sun, but is shady to dappled sun the rest of the time. I guess the plants don't have to be "tropical", but I do want the tropical feel. I would appreciate any suggestions.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I don't see why it wouldn't work especially since you have a drip system although some water on the leaves might help at night and that might involve changing some of the heads. I wouldn't spend a lot of money at first to see how it works. Tropical means humidity and once you have that solved it shouldn't be a problem.

girlingarden
Newly Registered

Thanks for the input. I'll keep looking for the right plants that will work. My variegated ginger suffered, as well as the fan palm, but now I'm trying crinum lilies and a cardboard plant. I have other crinums growing in areas that are pretty dry and they seem to be doing okay.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Any plant that likes acid soil will like it under a pine tree.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”