bh42394
Newly Registered

Blooming Border Suggestions

I live in the south, Memphis TN and starting in late June to early July it pretty much stays in the mid to high 90's until Oct.

I am wanting to plant a border in my front beds that would be in front of some English boxwoods that I planted about 2 years ago that are growing very very slowly.

Anyway, I am looking for a perennial, something that will bloom all summer and this side of the house gets "full" west afternoon sun. Shady until about mid morning and then sunny for the rest of the day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Coreopsis 'Moonbeam' would fit...

maybe Nepeta mussinii... not a lot of all season long types...

HG
Scott Reil

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

perennials for heat

bee balm, black eyed susan, perennial sage, lavender, agastache (anise hyssop) would be good choices.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The only season long bloomer there is the agastache, although the black eyed susans (Rudebeckia) are half the summer through fall...I'd be worried about lavender sitting cold and wet mornings

Some salvias can be made to bloom for long periods through continual dead-heading; I love S. 'Caradonna' for its dark stems that make even passed flowers look good from a distance. 'East Friesland' and 'May Night' are also proven in my garden and I do like them but don't consider them all season plants...(and knowing how much Wolfgang Oehme hates it when we Americanize names, especially German ones, I will add that the correct cultivar names for those last two are 'Ostfriesland' and 'Mainacht'. Sorry Uncle Wolfie... :oops: )

I love my little blue-eyed grass (Sisyrinchium angustifolium)which flowers in May-June with sporadic flowering until frost, but that is a small front of the border type and hardly a big show...with a little more shade I would have suggested Geranium 'Rozanne'; a real work horse. And some of the new violas are season long; Viola etain, V. x 'Purple Showers', 'Blue Moon' or 'Columbine' are all first-to-frost types... daylilies have 'Stella D'Oro', 'Happy Returns' 'Pardon Me", all dwarfer reblooming types...

perhaps with an 'Endless Summer hydrangea for bulk?

HG
Scott Reil

bh42394
Newly Registered

Hey, ya'll are really cool. Thanks so much for the suggestions...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

S'what we do...thanks!

Y'all come again... :wink:

HG
Scott Reil

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

border choices

For me the bee balm blooms from sometime in June until frost as do the salvias. I count that as all season long. Lavender isn't as floriferous but it's so wonderful. Mine is doing well in a morning shade area. Not as big as it would be in full sun, but keeps coming back and growing. Black eyed susan has a shorter bloom season, but they are easy, hardy natives that spread, but not invasively and are so cheerful when in bloom.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Using a few varieties of Rudbeckia can extend bloomtime. I use both 'Goldsturm' and R. fulgida var, fulgida' which starts a little later, but goes right into October. And I have the biennial R. trycirtus in the wild border (no flowers last year but lots of seedlings so it should be a show this year...) I want to try R. speciosa 'Viette's Little Suzy this year as well, as I have heard good things about bloomtime and it is such a little cutie...

HG
Scott Reil

ZoSoDragon
Newly Registered

I have some English lavender in the garden off my back porch, which is a western facing bed. I live in the South too, so the afternoon sun can be quite strong...my lavender did quite well last year, and is coming back nicely this spring. Plus it smells so wonderful...my French lavender did not do well at all, however, so I'd recommend the English kind.

Daylilies would be very pretty too....:)
Last edited by ZoSoDragon on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

West sides can sort of double for full sun as they get afternoon light, when it's hottest, and lavender is a Mediterranean plant, liking drier, free draining soil and warmth. English type is a harder perennial to be sure...

HG
Scott Reil

Return to “Perennials”