lauralicious
Newly Registered

Advice for growing dill

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I just recently started an indoor herb garden about 2 weeks ago, and it's been quite fun!

Mostly, my herbs are doing well, but I do need some help with my dill. I have a small dill plant that I bought from the local garden store. It came in one of those small plastic containers, and I re-potted it in a small terra-cotta pot when I first bought it a couple of weeks ago. It gets most of its light from sitting on my window sill.

However, it seems to be turning yellow quite fast. After doing some research, my thoughts are either that I could be over-watering (I water about every other day, or every 2 days, usually checking to make sure it's dry first) or that the pot is not big enough (it's only a few inches deep - certainly not the 10 inches that some people recommend). I've also read though, that dill "resents" transplanting, so I'm not sure whether moving it to a deeper pot would help or harm.

What are your thoughts? Should I cut down on the watering, and to how often? Should I transplant it to a deeper pot to allow more room for the roots? Something else I haven't considered?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

dill

I grow dill and haven't had much trouble with it. It is a taproot plant, meaning it wants a deep pot. I would transplant it (gently! :) ). Yellowing often is a sign of overwatering and the dill definitely doesn't want too much water once it is sprouted. You could also try adding some iron (product is called Ironite) to the soil. That often helps green things up. And make sure it's getting enough light -- it's a full sun plant. Good luck -- if you get it going, the butterflies really like it!

lauralicious
Newly Registered

Thanks! that's really helpful. I'll try putting it in a deeper pot along with a little less watering.

Would it do OK if I put another herb in the bigger pot with the dill? What other kinds of herbs have a similar water/light/soil requirement that wouldn't totally take over the pot? I was thinking a cilantro plant. I also have rosemary or lavender that are doing quite well. It's such a big pot that I hate to just put one measly dill plant in it :)

As for the light, the best I can do is putting it in a sunny room near a window sill. Wish I could have some butterflies, but I live in an apartment with no balcony, so it's all indoors for me! (Ah, but I can dream.)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have grown dill in the garden, never in a pot. It is one of the most hardy plants every. Hot 100 degree temperatures and no rain and dill thrives. When the weather gets cold it is one of the last plants in the garden to die. It comes up again every years. I have to till the plants to kill them. I wish other herbs would grow like dill. It will go to seed in August when it is extremely hot and dry.
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu May 07, 2009 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sharing the pot

If the rosemary or lavender do well they will also get quit big, turn in to little shrubs. At that point they wouldn't share the pot well, but the roots would be all intermingled and it would be hard to separate them without damaging things. Try something smaller. Thyme or oregano would just creep across the surface of your pot and then drape over the edges and they tolerate your lower light situation...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Dill does not make a good pot plant for the reasons already given. Best in the ground... Leave some to set seed...

HG
Scott Reil

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, as has been said dill is best grown in the garden. It can be planted very early in the spring. I always let some go to seed and next year it comes up from last years seed. I let some grow where it is not a problem and pull the rest as a weed. Dill will get over three feet tall in good soil. It does have a good tap root.

I would plant that dill in a bigger pot.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”