wingsaholic
Newly Registered

trouble getting carrots up

Last year I raised a garden that was out of this world, everything grew as in a dream. This year I haven't been able to get my carrots or cucumbers up from seeds. Tried several different brands of seed packets.
Last year I hauled in five pickup loads of horse manure, added compost and other stuff from Home Depot, it all grew fabulously, yet this year only tomatoes and radishes will come up, any ideas, I'm in desert Arizona.
Love to raise veggies for home use.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Carrots and cukes are at the opposite end of the planting curve. Carrots need to be planted very early while the weather is still cool. It may take them three weeks to come up. If the soil dries out or gets too warm, they won't germinate. I suggest planting 1/4 inch deep, then cover with a board. Peek under now and then and when you see some coming move the board. This holds the moisture.

Cucumbers, on the other hand, like warm weather and should be planted when all danger of frost is past and the ground is warm. They should come up in a week. If the ground is too cool or wet, the seed will usually just rot. Plant about half an inch deep and keep the ground damp. If the ground dries below where the seed is, you will lose it.

You can also pre germinate cukes. Soak them in water over night, then put them in a covered dish on a damp paper towel for two days, then plant them.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

wingsaholic
Newly Registered

carrot help

Thanks for the advice, I'll try again.
Love to raise veggies for home use.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”