signedcutie
Newly Registered

Newbie looking for help

Hey,
I am new to this forum and I was wondering if I could get some help identifying which type of bunsai I have. Also, why the moss is getting white stuff on it. At least I think it's moss. The plant was bought at a grocery store.
Thanks all!
Here's some pics. I hope this works
https://img8.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0429s.jpg

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Looks like a Ficus spp. to me, probably F. benjamina. The moss is packed around the base of the tree for shipping purposes, mostly, to retain moisture and to help keep soil intact. It is best to remove it, and if the soil is "glued down" in some way, remove that as well, possibly repotting.

thebean

I agree on the id and definately get the tree repotted into a free draining in organic bonsai soil. take off the moss and the glued in pebbles wash off the soil it is in and repot ASAP. The tree will not survive in its curent state. good luck. stop back with any other questions.

signedcutie
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for your input and advice. I will do this straight away.

signedcutie
Newly Registered

Does anyone know what type of soil I should buy. None of the stores around here seem to sell organic pre made bonsai soil. I have read so much about making your own, that it has made me more confused. Please help!

Cuda52774
Cool Member

signedcutie wrote:Does anyone know what type of soil I should buy. None of the stores around here seem to sell organic pre made bonsai soil. I have read so much about making your own, that it has made me more confused. Please help!
Well, the first thing I'd do is do a google search for a bonsai nursery near you. That's what I did and found one within an hour's drive. Just make sure if you do find one you make a good "shopping list" so that you don't forget anything and have to make another trip.

If that fails then find a way to buy some and have it shipped. While this is not the most economical way to do it due to shipping, it will hold you over until you learn how to make your own soil.

Here's a place to start if you can't find anything else. These guys make a good soil and don't charge too much for it. It's the shipping that gets you.

https://www.trappist.net/estore/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BM&Category_Code=mastermix

Good luck!

Cuda
Image "Let's put a happy little tree right there."

Gnome
Mod

Cuda,

Thanks for the good reply, I agree with your sentiments. :D

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”