owife
Newly Registered

Moving my babies

I am moving from Central Texas to Eastern Illinois this late May and want to take my beautiful roses with me. It would be best, logistically wise, if I could do this bare root. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this with out damaging my babies?

Thanks so much,
Owife

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Dig up the plants. If they are large mature plants, hard prune the tops back at least 2/3. Soak the roots in water for several hours. Lightly prune any damaged roots or to make the size manageable. Wrap the roots with moist newspaper, and place roots in a plastic bag. Twist tie or tape the bag to the main stem to retain moisture. Plant as soon as possible. When I can't plant bare root plants immediately in their planting site, I plant them temporarily in a large nursery pot. They can also simply be hilled in a temporary spot with dirt covering the roots. After planting make sure the roses get a steady supply of water for the first season.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

owife
Newly Registered

Thank you!

Thank you so very much for the info. Now I can move my babies with a comfortable level of knowledge.
Owife

Return to “Rose Forum”