herlittleway
Newly Registered

Weaving a fence

Hello!

I am interested in making a woven/wattle fence out of small trees or saplings but am uncertain about this fence's durability and lifetime. Here are my questions:

Can anyone tell me if a fence like this would stand up to the weather for years to come?

Since this fence will be used as a barrier between my garden and deer, what do you think about its durability and steadfastness?

What type of wood should I use?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

What is your planned height? Deer can easily jump a six foot height and perhaps as high as seven foot. So plan on 8 foot tall if you want the barrier to be effective.

I have a four or five foot fence surrounding my yard. Watching the deer jump the fence is pretty interesting. In my imagination, the deer would run and jump the fence. In practice, they are simply standing beside the fence, make an effortless jump, and they are then on the other side. Jumping my fence is as effortless for them as for me to skip over a one foot barrier.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Just a suggestion, but when I was a wildlife rehabber, we used to recommend that people use a 10-foot high fence to keep out deer. The only other effective alternative that I know of is a double fence that is about 6 feet high. A double fence is 2 fences set about 4 or 5 feet apart from each other. Most deer seem disinclined to jump over such a fence, not necessarily because they couldn't, but because it appears to confuse them. They also may have some fear of getting caught between the two fences.

I live in the city, so I've never had to battle deer in my yard. This is just what I was taught were the methods that would most likely keep deer out of a garden.

Some people plant a garden just for the deer, situating it on the path the deer follow to enter the yard. It must be placed so the animals come to it before they actually get into the yard.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

fencing

Another great thing about gardening in raised beds ... I don't fence my garden, I fence my raised beds individually. It's very easy, put stakes in the beds around the edge and then wrap them with bird netting (sometimes also sold as deer netting). You have to bury the bottom of it, or weight it down with rocks or garden staples AND you have to bring the top edges together (twisty ties work) to make a ceiling over it. I don't actually have deer where I garden, but we have lots of very determined wood chucks, raccoons, possums, squirrels.... I think it would work against deer also. The netting blends in pretty well so it's not totally obnoxious in the landscape. To harvest, I undo the twisty ties to reach down. For weeding, pull the garden staples and reach into the bottom. Yes, it would be nicer if I didn't have to do all that, but without the netting, the creatures do not leave ANY tomatoes for me. With the top over it, you don't have to worry about having something ten feet tall. It also provides entertainment, watching the woodchucks trying to get at my garden goodies :)

grosso
Newly Registered

I have the invisible deer fence around my garden, and it's kept the deer out for years. Other than seeing the t-posts it's attached to, it's virtually invisible. the trick is to bury the bottom of the mess under some packed soil or rocks, so that they don't go under.

Return to “Landscaping”