Venomous_1
Cool Member

Carrot Seed Question???

OK. It past years I've planted Nantes Half-Longs and Little Finger variety here in Middle Tennesse. I've been everywhere this last few weeks buying what I need for this year and have had no luck with these particular varieties. We really like them and are always cautious about changing varieties.

Do particular varieties change because they are not good to grow certain years? Or should I keep looking?

If these indeed aren't going to be available this season, then what would you recommend as a good alternative?

Thanks...Richard in Tennessee :?: :?:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

No need to look all over, just google it, and order on line.

Burpee has both of the carrots for sale and in stock.

[url=https://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/carrots/carrot+little+finger++-+1+packet%281500+seeds%29.do?search=basic&keyword=little+finger&sortby=newArrivals&page=1]Here[/url] and [url=https://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/carrots/carrot+nantes+half+long+-+1+pkt.+(1500+seeds).do]here[/url].
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Baker Creek, in Missouri, may experience similar climate conditions as you do.

They're at www.rareseeds.com and offer many varieties of carrots.

I've also done business with Johnny's Selected Seeds (Maine) and Seed Savers Exchange (Iowa), in addition to a couple of suppliers on the Pacific Coast.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Venomous_1
Cool Member

Thanks all!

Thanks all! I'll check them out. Still curious as to why they are suddenly so scarce locally???

Grey
Greener Thumb

No idea why they would suddenly not be available locally. Maybe they are just not "in vogue" this year! lol.

eshenry

I suggest the local dollar general........seriously, I usually get them there. At least the half longs.

Oh yes and Kmart is carrying Burpee this year. Walmart only has out FerryMorse. (but that is good, I have had good luck with both)
Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique.

Venomous_1
Cool Member

Oh Henry!

Hey Henry. Thanks for the tip. I never thought about KMart since the selection there is recent years has been lacking. But I went earlier today and there were my Nantes. Still having trouble finding little finger locally, but I still have time to order.

Thanks again...Richard in TN :D

eshenry

Hey, I am quite impressed that you have enough soil depth in Mboro for carrots. Lived in Smyrna some years back it was a basin on a rock where i was....lol
Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique.

Venomous_1
Cool Member

Rock in TN

Yeah well I live on a rock too! lol I have managed to overcome it by pulling the soil up into raised ridges after I till it. The ridges are about 10"-12" high. Works great for carrots.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good luck on the seed hunt.

I can't grow long carots here, but have had good luck with Royal Chantenay carrots. This is a short carrot. They have excellent flavor.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”