heatherscott
Newly Registered

root bound mint

Does anyone have any handy tricks or tips for getting an EXTREMELY root bound mint out of a container (without using dynamite...)? I chiseled away at it for a half hour today and it was exhausting - the pot is completely busting at the seams with hard, woody roots and it won't budge. I'm tempted to just get rid of it, but it's a really pretty container that I'd like to keep. My plan was to re-divide the mint and plant it again in the same pot, but it's not going so well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Heather

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Mint is aggressive and as you are experiencing, has a very tough mat of roots. I would suggest that you carve out a couple pieces of the plant to start fresh in another container. Then put the whole plant and pot in a bucket of water outside and let it sit until the plant dies. At some point your pot should be easy to release from the mass.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

heatherscott
Newly Registered

Thank you!

That is a great suggestion! I think I'll try that tomorrow, just carve a small piece out, plant it in another pot and let the rest of the root bound mess soak for a few days.

I appreciate it! :)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”