sfj
Newly Registered

jack pine bonsai seedlings

So I went and bought a bonsai kit from borders and now I have a little bonsai tree. right now its just a little green sprout about 3-4 inches tall. it is maybe 3-4 months old and had some questions. so first the trunk is a brownish color now but its not bark is that bad? Second it has some branches that are turning brown like they are dying but other than that everything is good so is it a healthy plant or am I just killing it. I want to post pics but I don't know how to.

sfj
Newly Registered

also I have heard that you can bonsai any tree...is that true?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

sfj,

Bonsai kits are not really a good idea in my opinion, seedlings take forever to get anywhere with. When I start seeds I always start dozens or even hundreds, many will fail for various reasons, be damaged or just simply not have good characteristics for bonsai.

Pines are a poor choice for a beginner as are seedlings in general. It will take years before that seedling, if it survives, becomes anything resembling a bonsai. Pines require some very specific training techniques even to get to the pre-bonsai stage, there are much better choices. Sorry to be so negative but you are likely looking at a long road to disappointment.
Second it has some branches that are turning brown like they are dying but other than that everything is good so is it a healthy plant or am I just killing it.
I don't know, it is hard to say. Where are you keeping it, inside or outside? How do you water it? How much light does it receive?
I want to post pics but I don't know how to.
We don't host pictures on this forum, you must host them elsewhere and then link to them. Look here for two possibilities, pick one.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724
also I have heard that you can bonsai any tree...is that true?
At its most basic bonsai means a tree in a pot or tray, so I suppose technically yes. But not all species are customary or even suitable. Most growers, for instance, stay away from trees with very large or compound leaves. Some feel that species like Jades are unworthy while some enjoy them greatly. More and more tropicals are gaining in popularity even though they are not traditional specimens.

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/bonsaip.htm
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/bonsaibe.htm

For this last link the Pines are Japanese Black Pines and I have no idea how similar Jacks are but this gives you an idea of what you can expect.
https://home.comcast.net/~okamigardens/Articles/Contents.htm

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Jack Pines are decidedly and firmly temperate trees. Growing one indoors is going to be as near to impossible as can be. Sorry to add to the negativity, but facts is facts. ;) The natural range is the northern United States into Canada, from east to central.

As Norm said, starting with a seed is going to be incredibly frustrating for a beginner, especially if it's the only "bonsai" you're keeping. Depending on growth rate, all you need to do in a year's time is prune once or twice. That's it. At the end of the year, you'll still have a seedling, if you're lucky with 5 or 6 potential branches. At the end of the second year, you'll still have a seedling, just more refined. Bark will not begin to become evident within this time and it will certainly not even begin to look even like a "pre-bonsai" (in the case of Pinus spp. here) for a few years to come.

I'd suggest starting over. As Norm said, those kits from book stores, Borders, Barnes and Noble, whatever, are not the best starting place even by a long shot. Take a look at this site www.meehansminiatures.com for some choices of tree species. Find something you like that you can also work with. They over sizing on most species, up to "pre-bonsai" specimens.

sfj
Newly Registered

ya ok I have no problem getting rid of the jack pine. its not that old and I havent put much effort into it. so I looked around at plants I would want to grow and I like the weeping willow and the giant sequoia. I don't know if these are hard or not but I like the looks and I know that they are in my area...well atleast the weeping willow the sequoia is further away. so let me know what you think about this choice and I'm always open to new ideas. I wouldnt start these from a seed by the way.

EDIT: I really like the looks of the Giant sequoia and I have seen them in a bonsai form and I want to do that but if you think its gonna be too hard for someone who has never done any of it before then I understand.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

sfj,

First off you don't have to ditch the Pine I just did not want you to put all your hopes into one seedling that will take a very long time get anywhere. Keep the Pine and grow it along side of other things. If it fails or you tire of it no great loss.

Willow are used for bonsai but I have no first hand experience with then. Something tells me styling may be challenging. On the plus side you can root thick cuttings of this species and cut your timescale by years. Willows have some sort of hormone that allows very thick cutting to take. If you have access to a tree you can look for a good branch and take it from there.

[img]https://www.bonsaiblog.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/weeping-willow.jpg[/img]

Sorry, I know almost nothing about Sequoia other than they're big. :wink: Don't overlook Junipers in CA. Also I know there a lot of bonsai clubs in CA so that is something to look into.

Norm

sfj
Newly Registered

ok ill keep the pine also there are a lot of willows and redwoods around me so I can easily get a cutting and see how it goes from there. if I were going to do a cutting how would I go about doing that? do I just cut off a branch and put it in a pot with soil and water or is there some special thing to do? also what about an oak tree could those be a good bonsai?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

sfj wrote:ok ill keep the pine also there are a lot of willows and redwoods around me so I can easily get a cutting and see how it goes from there. if I were going to do a cutting how would I go about doing that? do I just cut off a branch and put it in a pot with soil and water or is there some special thing to do? also what about an oak tree could those be a good bonsai?
If you're in a temperate climate, the trees you mentioned can be kept as outdoor bonsai trees. Unfortunately, this is the worst time of year to start collecting. Because you started with a kit, I figured you were looking for indoor bonsai, are you looking for outdoor bonsai?

sfj
Newly Registered

I do like indoor bonsai but I can grow an outdoor bonsai I can leave them out and not worry about them getting stolen so ya I can do either...I like the oaks willows and redwoods because they are trees around where I live so I would like to compare the bonsai oak to the real oak or the redwoods so I guess it doesnt matter if its indoor or outdoor. I also read some where that hard wood plants if I was to grow a cutting that I should get it late fall early winter after a hard frost. and there was frost this morning so I thought that I should do it tommorow...is that false information?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

sfj,
I also read some where that hard wood plants if I was to grow a cutting that I should get it late fall early winter after a hard frost. and there was frost this morning so I thought that I should do it tommorow...is that false information?
Hardwood cuttings are generally taken in winter, yes. There are differences in species though. Some are better from softwood or semi-hardwood cuttings. What species are you considering for this technique?

Norm

sfj
Newly Registered

well I read that the willow you could take a cutting in the winter which would be good so I could start growing it now. I also wanted to grow a redwood and an oak but I don't know if they are good to take a cutting in the winter. eventually I'm going to grow a redwood and an oak I just need to know when I can take a cutting.

sfj
Newly Registered

ok so I went to the local nursery and found a cyprus bonsai tree for 25 dollars...I didnt buy it yet but I was just wondering if they were good trees for a beginner it has been pruned very well it looks like because it has that nice cone shape that they have. I like it a lot and am probably gonna buy it tommorow if thats a good decision.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”