Hels
Newly Registered

Deer resistant bulbs & plants

I would love to plant some bulbs this autumn - I have always wanted a daffodil lined driveway! However, we have deer that regularly roam through the garden. I really don't want to fence the garden to keep the deer out (as has been suggested by our fenced-in neighbour) - primarily because the children love seeing them 'visit' when they come close to the house and secondly because we have 5 acres and that's a lot of fencing!

Can anyone suggest some bulbs that the deer won't like? Actually - I would love any suggestions for plants that are deer resistant. Can anyone suggest a book or website that might help too?

We are in Victoria, Canada – which I think is a Zone 7.
Helen

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

In the "Deer-Resistant" department, Sunset lists 103 "Perennials and Bulbs" (as opposed to Trees, Shrubs, Ground Covers & Vines, and Annuals). Many of them are suitable for Victoria (Sunset Zone 5), including dahlias, freesias, and crocuses (croci???).

Maybe your public library or a local gardening-supply store has a copy of Sunset's Western Garden Book you can look through for ideas and to see whether you'd like to give a copy of the book space in your home.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Deer don't munch on daffs, but will on tulips. Also deer don't like alliums, crocus, glory of the snow, but I know for a fact they nibbled on my grape hyacinths.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”