Shazw79
Newly Registered

Japanese symbols/words needed - Any Ideas?

Hello,

Having just renovated our pond, we would like to put up some Japanese words. Im having trouble finding simple words/symbols - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
After renovating our pond, we are looking for some Japanese words/symbols! Can anyone help?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'm not clear on what you're looking for.

1) Do you wish to "spell" English words with Japanese characters? If so, with a) hiragana or b) katakana?

2) Do you wish to translate English words into Japanese, and then write them with Japanese characters?

If 2), do you prefer

a) the hiragana syllabic system of Japanese?

b) the katakana syllabic system of Japanese?

c) kanji, for those words in Japanese which are written in kanji?

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I'm thinking you may want kanji?
Scroll down a bit to font #1, something like this for the word garden-
https://www.tribalshapes.com/categories/kanji/kanji-garden.html

Ask applestar.

applestar
Mod

Aaa--choo! :shock: I think someone's taking about me... oh, it's you Lorax :lol:
I dunno, I think the website you linked is terrific -- how do you do that?
You seem to know all the good ones. :wink:

I'll be happy to help refine selection once you have some ideas, Shazw79.
You want to be careful -- I once bought a T-shirt on sale that had one of the two kanji characters used to make up the compound word for peace -- one means "Wa" -- you know as in "one with the universe" -- the other means "peace" as in "uneventful" but it can also mean "flat". Guess which kanji was on the front of the shirt? I thought it was funny. 8) For me knowing what it said, it was a private joke. Others who bought the shirt thinking it meant "peace", well. :roll:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Allow me to pass a tissue your way- tee he.

Hey, gimme that t-shirt... it's got my name written all over it!

I took an adult continuing education course at the local community college on how best to search the Internet. It was a tremendous help. I'd suggest this type of a course for those who are over 50 for sure but I can see where it would be a really great non-credit class for anyone who wants to learn how to optimize a search. Just learning about how to exclude words from google searches in and of itself was a big help to someone like me. Regarding the kanji, doesn't hurt that we stayed in Japan for quite a while and have gone back to visit a few times so I'm a little bit familiar with the language. Not enough to hold a conversation but doesn't matter given almost everyone over there speaks enough English to muddle through with an American and if they don't, they go locate and bring somebody back who does speak enough English. Not so in China interestingly enough. I think the Japanese are better educated overall.

I have a funny story. The first few days we were there, we thought everyone was so friendly because they all kept saying Hi intermittently at the beginning of sentences and in the middle of sentences and well... even just hi seemingly to say hi. Ha ha ha, not much more I can say about that one.

Gnome
Mod

Shazw79,

This may help as well.
https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATBonsaikanjisymbols.htm

Norm

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Kanji for the garden

Hallo (still there ?) Shazw79.
Although you may have plenty already (like the bonsai4me) here are some kanji characters related to the seven characteristics of Shinichi Hisamatsu (1889-1980) that where inspired by Zen Buddhism. These seven main principles of aesthetics in Zen philosophy are used for achieving sabi and wabi.

Have a look at: [url]https://www.karesansui.nl/html/page_Realization.htm#ARCHITECTURE[/url] ... and scroll 1 or 2 pages down.

Enjoy, Piet
Piet, Tsubo-en

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”