Naehu808

My plant has droopy leaves! What happened? Pls. help

I picked up three Better Bush tomato plants and one Better Bush Cherry tomato plant from our local WalMart Nursery a week ago. I kept them in their original pots until I was ready to transplant them, three days ago. I placed each in its own pot. They were all of different ages, but still young, no flowers. Two of them I placed in ceramic pots, (no holes in the bottom for drainage), taking a chance because at the time I did this, I wasn't sure if they required drainage. :? ( I've read some blips that state drainage was not a requirement, but I'm now skeptical) Anyway, one of the plants in the ceramic pot is the one that two days later, the leaves are "sad" looking, droopy, limp. :cry: It had plenty of water and because I live on the "desert" side of Oahu, we have plenty of sun. Temperatures have been in the low to mid 80's during the day and high 70's at night. The soil I used for all plants was store bought "vegetable planting soil/fertilizer.

Any suggestions would truly be appreciated. Oh yeah, one more thing I'm noticing on some of the leaves of the other plants, there are small white lines on them, vein-like looking. Any words of wisdom on that or should I worry about it?
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,
Holding my breath in Hawaii....
A hui hou

Gnome
Mod

Naehu808,

If you do not intend to plant them in the ground then they must be moved to pots that have adequate drainage ASAP.
I placed in ceramic pots, (no holes in the bottom for drainage)...It had plenty of water
I have little doubt that the soil is waterlogged. The roots need oxygen as well as water and a pot without drainage is a real problem.

Norm

Naehu808

Gnome

Thanks so much! Its 845p my time now, so first thing in the a.m., they'll be moved to pots with drainage. Again, thanks!!! :D
A hui hou

Gnome
Mod

Naehu808,

You're welcome. When you replant them don't hesitate to plant them deeper than they were if you have such a pot. They will root all along the stem and make for a stronger root system. You can even strip some lower leaves off if necessary.

Norm

american_gardener

Drainage

Sounds like you have the typical syptoms of having TOO Much water... just like Gnome told ya.

Now your roots will have to have air in there.. and without drainage you're gonna drown em. So whoever told ya you didn't need drainage was wrong!

Hope you didn't set em back too much by drowning those roots.. but i think they'll recover once ya get em into pots with drainage.

The white lines sound like they might possibly be leaf miners.

Dave

Naehu808

Gnome, thanks again. I have planted them deeper and am crossing my fingers and saying a prayer. Will keep you posted.
Aloha!
A hui hou

Naehu808

Welcome Dave, I was just reading your introduction prior to reading my threads. And yep, TOO MUCH WATER, yikes! Like I told Gnome, crossing my fingers, saying a prayer. Also keeping a watchful eye on them all. I totally want these to grow nicely, its been awhile since I've grown veggies, so I'm rusty, but happy to know I can come to this site and read new info and meet great people like yourself. Also I'm gonna look up leaf minors, not sure what the heck that is. lol :o
Aloha!
A hui hou

american_gardener

Yeah i never knew what leaf miners were before either. It's not something i see on my veggies. I've seen it on the flower plants up by the house and never thought bout it. Then one day in another forumn someone had posted a picture of it.. and i thought it was slug trails... Cause that's what i always assumed it was on the flowers. So, i guess i learned something new that day. It was leaf miners.

For what it's worth.. i've read that using hydrogen peroxide to water your drowned plants helps em to recover much faster. Something bout the extra oxygen in the H2O2 that really helps the roots. Might be something you'd want to try if those tomatoes of yours aren't recovering.

I've been experimenting with hydrogen peroxide this year as a fungicide. If ya ever need a cheap fungicide at least i can vouch for it working great for that.

Anyways.. good luck on the tomatoes.

Naehu808

american gardner...
thanks for the hydrogen peroxide tip. are u using it pure or a mixture with water? and how r u applying it to the fungus? (for future references) We have rain here today, most of the day, but when I checked on my plant this afternoon, the leaves were looking much healthier, I believe its on its way to recovery. In about a week, I'd like to add fertilizer to the potting mix I have them in. I've read to use a 10-10-10 strength and put a thin layer of mulch/soil on top and to continue this once a month. (about 6" from stem of plant) and am I right in thinking this is the same as "dressing" the plant? :? Thanks again!
Aloha, Vicki
A hui hou

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”