brekehan

Lettuce grows slow

My lettuce seedlings have had 3 leaves a piece for a month. They are in the seedling mix. I am surprised they grow so slowly! Is this normal?

We haven't had alot of sun and lots of rain. I wonder if that's why?

pharmerphil

brekehan wrote:My lettuce seedlings have had 3 leaves a piece for a month. They are in the seedling mix. I am surprised they grow so slowly! Is this normal?

We haven't had alot of sun and lots of rain. I wonder if that's why?
Where they planted at?
Are they in a container? adequate drainage?
no sun, lots of rain could be a problem

brekehan

On the porch in 8oz styrophome cups. Put them in compost, potting soil, and humus mix.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No it's not normal. Lack of sun would be part of the problem, but are you sure your styrofoam cups have enough drainage? If it's holding moisture at the bottom, the roots could be rotting out.

brekehan

I poked 30 or so holes. But they don't seem to let water out. The holes clog up with the soil.. I used a toothpick to make the holes.

soil
Greener Thumb

make holes bigger and give them more soil and more sun. problem solved.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Use a screwdriver or something like that at least.

It's been cloudy and rainy ALL week and on and off last week with a BIG dip in temps. My lettuces and greens were going like mad but lately have slowed to a grinding halt. Give them time if this #$*&#*%*&#@*# rain that you and I and the north east have been getting ever stops, and that big ball of fire in the sky (can't remember what it was called :P ) ever pops back out maybe things will pick up again.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I have a fall romaine crop planted in three areas of my garden. The soil and water conditions are identical and all were planted the same day. One area has full sun, one has partial shade, one has full shade. The full shade plants are about one inch tall, the partial shade lettuce is three inches tall, the full sun lettuce is six inches tall. My guess is yours need more sun.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”