jmoore

Dang blasted green bean plants!

I have several green bean plants in the garden. There are buds all over the things but I'll be damned if I can't find a single bean! Literally there are hundreds of flowers, but no beans. Not even tiny little ones. I'm going crazy checking them every day hoping for something. But nothing. :mad:

I'm going to leave them on the trellis until they turn brown and croak. Maybe I'll get ONE bean out of the things. If all the buds turned to beans, I'd have a stinking bumper crop!

Come on green beans!

freedhardwoods

How long ago did you first see the blooms? It took about 2 weeks from blooms to beans on mine.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Has it been really hot there? We've had a number of TX gardeners telling us about big spells of triple digit temps.

Here's an article about growing green beans in Texas:

https://www.ipmcenters.org/cropprofiles/docs/TXbeans-green.pdf

One of the things it says is:
Green beans are temperature sensative doing best below 85 degrees and the optimum is 60-65 degrees.

You should try planting more seeds now, for a fall crop. Probably do much better!

applestar
Mod

Are you seeing pollinators? I can't reach for a pole bean without a bumblebee buzzing out of the way or hearing an even louder whirring of a hummingbird overhead. O:) Lately, cicadas are also flying out of the pole beans, but I know THEY're not pollinating. :x

jmoore

1. It seems like it's been weeks since I've seen blooms.
2. It was hot but it has cooled off the last few weeks. Lots of rain this weekend.
3. Pollinators? What's that :wink:

I'm not planting anything new in there. I'm ready to rip everything out and start on the soil amendments I have planned. Just a few more cukes to finish and those plants are gone. Bell pepper and jalapeno's are right behind.

pharmerphil

bee's will come to the bean flowers, and do in droves here, and could and possibly do transfer some pollen; however, they are not needed for pollination, beans are self pollinating.

two weeks, I'd look again, real close if your plants are lush, I'm betting you see little baby beans in there...
the only other thing I can think of, since the weather seems right, is excessive Nitrogen fertilizer, causing more Green..than Bean

Earl K
Green Thumb

I have over fertilized my beans before,They had lots of green leaves but after a while got 4 harvests off of them.Just be patient they will come

jmoore

I think it took a while for my yellow beans to produce after they had flowers. The greens are behind those so maybe they are just slow as well. I'm going to let them go until they are dead or all the flowers drop off. They aren't hurting anything out there, so there's no point in taking them out.

Maybe they will surprise me. With all the flowers on them, something is bound to happen.

pepper4
Green Thumb

jmoore, I think you'll be surprised :) Good luck!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jmoore,

My spring planted pole beans did lousy this year. The high heat simply arrived to early. We harvested maybe two quarts of the blue lake stringless beans. I decided to try something different for my fall garden and planted the "Yard Long" asparagus Asian beans. I planted them in the hot weather of August because they are a tropical variety and love heat. So far they have produced great. My wife and I love the taste which does resemble asparagus. We prepare them the same way we cook other green beans. I've been harvesting them for a couple of weeks. I usually pick them once or twice per week and may only get fifteen to twenty beans per harvest, but they are so long that it is a full pot of beans after you cut them.

After doing some research, I found the most common way to prepare them is stir fried with a little garlic and ginger.

I bought the Burpee brand seed pack at Home Depot. If you do plant them, plant them thick because the germination rate of the seed seems to be very low. I would guess only 25% of the seed I planted actually germinated. You can always come back later and thin them if you plant to many.

I will be planting the yard long beans again in the spring instead of the normal green beans and expect to harvest beans through the hottest part of the summer.

Ted

jmoore

Thanks for the tip ted. I'll give those a try. I'm at Home Depot a bunch so I'll look for them. It's probably too late for this season but it will be nice to have some ready to go.

I planted the green beans in June sometime. They grow fine but are just not producing yet. :(

tedln wrote:jmoore,

My spring planted pole beans did lousy this year. The high heat simply arrived to early. We harvested maybe two quarts of the blue lake stringless beans. I decided to try something different for my fall garden and planted the "Yard Long" asparagus Asian beans. I planted them in the hot weather of August because they are a tropical variety and love heat. So far they have produced great. My wife and I love the taste which does resemble asparagus. We prepare them the same way we cook other green beans. I've been harvesting them for a couple of weeks. I usually pick them once or twice per week and may only get fifteen to twenty beans per harvest, but they are so long that it is a full pot of beans after you cut them.

After doing some research, I found the most common way to prepare them is stir fried with a little garlic and ginger.

I bought the Burpee brand seed pack at Home Depot. If you do plant them, plant them thick because the germination rate of the seed seems to be very low. I would guess only 25% of the seed I planted actually germinated. You can always come back later and thin them if you plant to many.

I will be planting the yard long beans again in the spring instead of the normal green beans and expect to harvest beans through the hottest part of the summer.

Ted

jmoore

I looked at the green beans yesterday and there are FINALLY some beans growing. Lots and lots of little .5" long beans. So I might get something out of this stinking plant afterall.

And I was ready to rip the suckers out this weekend. I'm glad I waited.

I need to post a pic.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jmoore,

In a few days, those little beans will be ready to harvest.

Here are some yard long beans I harvested this morning. I am going to try them a different way with the tomato's, bell pepper, and some fresh basil.

Ted

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/IMG_1852.jpg[/img]

jmoore

Those are awesome Ted! I definitely need to plant some of those next year. I bet the kids would even eat them. How do they taste?

On another note, my bell pepper never did anything. I gave up on it Sat and pulled it, along with most of the remainder of the cukes. I've got one more cuke going that should be ready shortly and then that's all she wrote for them. The only thing I have left are green beans and jalapeno's that seem to be enjoying the cooler weather.

tedln wrote:jmoore,

In a few days, those little beans will be ready to harvest.

Here are some yard long beans I harvested this morning. I am going to try them a different way with the tomato's, bell pepper, and some fresh basil.

Ted

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/IMG_1852.jpg[/img]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jmoore,

Your cukes outlasted mine. I guess mine bit the dust about three weeks ago. My Labrodor will miss them more than me. He normally got to eat two or three per day. He now stands at the garden fence barking and I don't have a cuke to give him. I do have a fall crop growing, but they grow so slow, I may not get any before the first frost.

I just took the photo below of one of my bell pepper plants. I planted eight plants last spring. All the conditions were the same except for one where I planted three plants together. The others were planted singly, with the same soil, sun, water, and fertilizer. Four plants are still doing well after recovering from the summer heat. The other four never did well. The plants stayed small. Produced tiny peppers which dropped before they were large enough to use. I really would like to know why some plants live and produce well, while others simply don't. I'm beginning to think it is a genetic weakness in the seed.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/IMG_1856.jpg[/img]

The next photo is of some yard long beans on the trellis. Notice how thin the foliage is. Since only half the beans I planted germinated, they are spaced about ten inches apart. In three days, the vines will be loaded with beans ready to pick again. They look pathetic, but they produce well.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/IMG_1858.jpg[/img]

Ted

jmoore

Hey now! Look what was lurking underneath some leaves. I never saw these guys. How I missed them, I don't know. And my yellow beans were hiding a few small surprises too. I thought they were done. I think I'll be able to pull maybe 12-15 green beans by the weekend. It's not a huge amount but enough for a serving or two :lol:

And my wife gave the thumbs up to the yard long beans idea. She think the kiddos will love them.

[img]https://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z232/jason_moore_texas/greenbeans.jpg[/img]

Diane
Green Thumb

Very nice. Maybe they'll surprise you and give you a great harvest after all.
My 2 bell peppers in the pot are doing great.....now! I had to pick 10 small 4" peppers because we might get our first frost thursday night. I waited too long for them to let them freeze.
Next year I'll wait until the ground is warm before I plant anything. I was in such a hurry thinking I'd get veggies sooner if I planted early. Didn't work that way.

pharmerphil

Glad you are seeing beans :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”