Mysterious_Bonzai
Newly Registered

New to the Bonzai World

In September my boyfriend gave me a little bonzai tree for my dorm room as a going away present. I love it to death, it just bloomed and was green all the time, I watered it when it needed it and it seemed very happy sitting on top of my dresser soaking up some sun (when there was some). But now my little tree has begun to lose it's leaves and turn brown. He had grown more branches from september to december, but now those have turned brown aswell! I don't know what kind of tree he is :idea: , deciduous I know that much. I'm not sure if he's getting too big for his container or what's wrong. Someone help! I don't want my little tree to die!! :(

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm guessing that your tree probably needs to be outside so that it can have it's dormant period. You may have overwatered it as well. Just water your tree when the soil dries out, no more than that. Also, a daily misting wouldn't hurt.

Maybe give it some dilute liquid seaweed fertilizer in the spring and summer but, not now as the tree should be dormant now. If you can take a picture of your tree we might be able to figure out what it is.

Mysterious_Bonzai
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot! I'm going to take a picture of the tree tomorrow and I hope you can tell me what type it is! Is the dormant period for all trees the same? How long should I keep it outside. And does it have to be outside or can it just be in a cold place like by an open window? Oh and will any gardening center sell the liquid sea weed? Thanks again!!!

koiboy01

Hi,
If it is decideus it dosn't want watering in winter and I would place it in a reasonably cold place to let it rest for winter.a photo would be helpful.
George

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If its a tropical we don't want it outside, so let's see that picture and we'll go from there...

HG

Mysterious_Bonzai
Newly Registered

EEEkkk!! Ok so it's been a little while to finally get a picture so here is the link!

May be a little hard to see cause it's in such a small box thing but yeah I hope someone can tell me what kind it is! I put it by the window to let it go dormant, and the leaves are falling off more and turning brown, and I water it very little now...what else?! I really appreciate all the help, thank you so much!

Amy

Michigan2Iowa

Amy,

I'm not able to follow your last link, it asks the viewer to log in. Do you know the website for your blog that lets other's view your entries?

-Paul-

Mysterious_Bonzai
Newly Registered

Gah! Ok here's the one I promise!!

https://amysawesome.blog.com/

Sorry bout all this folks!

Amy

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Well it's what's left of a ficus, Amy... :shock:

It sems wet for a plant in that bad a shape; is there any drainage in that pot? Seems not...have you read any of the srticles on this site yet? There is a lot of info that might have made a big difference in this trees life already. Go to the home page, look for the bonsai header and check out the articles; I think you'll be glad you did...

In the meantime get this thing into a new pot of soil, just plain potting soil. Shallow, not deep like the one it's in (wet soil goes sour and funguses up). This tree is in need of perfect care at this point or it's gone, so you must water it in well and then not for some time, until the surface is dry but there is some moisture a knuckle down. Ficus are very forgiving trees but this will be touch and go for a while. No fertilizer, medium light from a window, and adequate moisture and it might make it...

Send a picture a week so we can keep tabs on it, ok?

Good luck

Scott

Mysterious_Bonzai
Newly Registered

Thank you so much! I'm going to do all of that! So shallower pot with drainage, regular potting soil, do I need to trim the roots at all? Thanks for all your help!! I hope my little tree will be fine! I'll definitly be posting pictures throughout the process!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Shallower, WIDER pot. Nice, humusy soil. Good watering in, drying in between (dry to damp, not dust) Cut as little root as possible...

HG

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Shallower, WIDER pot. Nice, humusy soil. Good watering in, drying in between waterings (dry to damp, not dust) Cut as little root as possible; we are just going to treat this like a house plant until it gets back on it's feet (not a sure thing)...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”