raj1530
Newly Registered

pruning hydrangea

I have a huge hydrangea bush.. but no flowers this year. how do you prune a hydrangea, step by step.. please

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hydrangeas don't really need to be pruned unless it's overgrown or unsightly. If you do want to prune it, when to prune depends on what kind of hydrangea you have. Different varieties bloom at different times and some on this year's wood and some on old wood. So you have to know what you have and what you are doing or you will prune the buds off and guarantee that it won't bloom next year either.

Here's a little article:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/flower/prune-hydrangea-bushes-hydrangea-pruning-instructions.htm

raj1530
Newly Registered

I still don't know why I have no flowers this year. otherwise it looks very healthy.. is the ground lacking something?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Did you prune it this year or last year? Did you have a late frost this year after it leafed out?

WHAT KIND OF HYDRANGEA do you have?

I notice you are in Connecticut. That is either zone 5 or zone 6. Not all hydrangeas are hardy that far. The The Oakleaf, PeeGee, and 'Annabelle' hydrangeas are hardier, the mopheads and lace caps less so.

If you are at the edge of it's cold hardiness, it can survive but not bloom. Try giving it more winter protection and pray for a mild winter!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

If you do not know what type of hydrangea you have, can you post a picture or put a link to a picture?

It usually helps to know the type of hydrangea and its name because some hydrangeas develop flower buds at different times. Some do it starting as early as July (the blooms open in the Spring) while others wait until the Spring to develop the blooms.

Any pruning that you need to do should take into account when flower buds develop so you do not prune them off.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”