jlparsons
Newly Registered

My peace lily isnt happy please help

Hi this is my peace lily and it doesnt look happy
I water it just as the leaves go limp roughly once a week
It gets good sunlight from a north faceing window
It doesnt sit in water and has good drainage
should I pot on at this time of year because the roots are starting to poke threw drain holes
Please look at these pictures and offer advice thanks!

click on my links
https://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1135/p1000192.jpg

https://img196.imageshack.us/I/p1000191c.jpg/

https://img97.imageshack.us/I/p1000190.jpg/

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If the roots are coming through the drainage holes, it is definitely time to repot. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with Kisal. Your plant does not look very unhappy. Leaves do get old and die and much of your plant looks happy and healthy. Repot it one size larger and trim off the dead stuff and I'm sure it will be fine!

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

As indicated by Kisal and Rainbow, your plant is quite happy. It is just demonstrating flower die off which is natural. One thing I do want to add is to not wait until it gets limpy. This will eventually kill off a Peace Lily. Unfortunately, I know this from experience. :oops: Water twice weekly if once a week watering is causing it to get droopy. Although, repotting may help this issue too.

Trim off the dead and repot; your Peace Lily will thrive. :wink:

Just a reminder when repotting to go only 1 size bigger with the new pot.

jlparsons
Newly Registered

Thanks very much all will do that and I'm glad to hear it is doing ok
were shall I cut of the dead at the bottom or were it starts to go dead
Thanks

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

I always try and snip off dead stems as low as possible without stressing or pushing around the plant too much.

Happy Gardening! Feel free to let us know how it looks after you repot it. It's always fun to hear about the results and triumphs. :D

jlparsons
Newly Registered

Hi thanks I have trimmed my plant and repotted it.
I think I mite have repotted it in a bit to big of a pot, I went from a 14 cm to 18

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If it were any other plant, I would say to repot it again into a smaller pot, but I think the Peace Lily will be able to handle it. You must be very careful not to overwater it, though! Even though they prefer more moisture than most other plants, the can still develop root rot. The danger of root rot will be greater than usual during the winter season, as well, because the plant won't be growing as actively.

Be prepared for little to no growth of the foliage for awhile. The plant will put its energy into growing roots, until it becomes comfortable in the pot. Do not fertilize it in an attempt to 'help it along', because lack of nutrients will not be the reason it isn't growing.

Note: It would not harm the plant to be 'potted down' to the next smaller sized container soon, if you find one you like, and would prefer to do that rather than baby it along for the next few months. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”