gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Cans to compost

I took in all my crushed aluminum today and used that money to go one street after the metal recycling place to get 2 yards of screened Class A compost from the city's waste recycling center. How convenient is that?

I put down a few inches in my newer garden tilled it in than added to the rest of the garden carefully around all the plants and starters I have growing. I than added another couple inches on top of the freshly tilled part, Which I must say it 100% better than 3 month's ago being virgin grass and clay.

I will be going to get another 2 yards in late winter early spring to add to the whole garden and mix it up for spring. As some of you know I have only lived her for about 2 years so the garden is very new and started out with terrible soil. But it is getting much better. I have been amending all year I can't wait to see what it looks like after it overwinters, I guarantee it's gonna be some good stuff. Thanks for listen ing to my rant, later.

By the way this is some good stuff it was steaming up good when I got it. While unloading as well, steaming up good. You could feel the heat off of it. IT smelled like black gold baby, and only $26.50 for 2 yards. It's $30 for 1 yard at the nearest nursery and they probably get it from my place. If I keep adding I will be forced to make it a raised bed. But I already thought about that. :D

Dono

Diane
Green Thumb

That's really recycling!!
And that compost should do wonders. A potato plant popped up in my flower bed and I topped it with compost and then straw. I used two sides of a broken pot to hold it in.
Today I checked on it. I moved the straw and soil/compost away. There were many, many worms and soft dark soil.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I hear ya I put the majority of the compost on the new bed but quite a bit in the old section. 2 yards filled my truck bed to the rim of the bed all the way around and than piled up a good amount in the middle. :shock:

My beds are looking better all the time. I can't wait till next season. After my fall plants go down. I'm going to get some more compost and do it all again. The sooner the better so it can break down even more by next year, start really growing some good soil. My new bed is about 4 inches above ground level now but it will go down a bit. I really have considered raised beds. I had 12" raised beds at my last house.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I wish this rain would stop. It's been pouring for some time now. We probably got about 2 inches or more over night. I have seedlings in the old bed with sprout and inch or less. So I spread the compost between the rows thick to spread out later when the plants get bigger. Now it's acting like a damn. I hope everything makes it, raining is ass off out there now with the lightning and all that. And of course I left my tiller out there thinking it wasn't going to rain. :oops: :x

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I've got two big trash bags full of cans I need to take in, I was just hoping the price would go up. Mayeb I'll take them in and get me some goodies as well.

Hopefully the rain didn't kill off you sprouts, that's be an unfortunate set back.

Diane
Green Thumb

My 12'x4' raised bed is only 4 inches high and it took a lot of amendments and soil to get that high. It does go down over time. My main reason for the raised bed was because my soil stays wet for too long, so to improve drainage.
I hope your seedlings are ok.
If you do pots, compost works well in those too.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

By the way everything looks good out there the rain went away and everything is good to go I believe. :D

applestar
Mod

We need some of that rain around here. :? It's just as well because I'm in a slump (ragweed allergies + fighting a bug), but I need to clean up the dead and the dying in the garden BEFORE the rains come again.

It sounds like you are really building up your garden beds and getting your fall garden growing. Good luck! :wink:

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

You could always end up like Texas applestar. I ran outside yesterday to move gutter spout to save my jalapenos and it only rained for 15 minutes.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

This is mainly for next year, I know it will help this year but I will have some, I want to say, awesome soil next year. Coming from junk clay it's gonna be awesome.

Return to “Composting Forum”