greenthumb
Newly Registered

New here and to gardening in general

I got my kids some tomato, pepper, and cucumber plants just to let them have a go at gardening over the weekend. While I was scraping up the ground to bury the plants, I realized I was having fun, and running back inside to figure out how to do it correctly.

I would like to try some flowers next. Being nearly May, and I'm in Arkansas, I really don't know what I should try to expect good results.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

:D Welcome to gardening!

Your question has an open end to it; imagine if I said to you "I just bought a computer and I really like using it. What kind of programs should I buy?"

Spend some time on the site, checking the different pages and seeing if any of the specific plants or styles suit you. Check the book pages out to find some books that appeal to you and do some reading; you will find that like most things in life, gardening is a lot more rewarding if you are at least a little informed. And if you have any specific questions, bring 'em here and I'll be happy to answer them for you...

Hope you keep gardening and I'll look for you here...

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It is now October and you've probably planted all your flowers and eaten all of your lovely vegetables. But, now is the time to really start planning for next spring.
You can buy all sorts of neat seeds and start them growing in flats or small containers to plant next spring. I started my tomatoes last Feb for a late march planting but, this year I'm going to try starting some of them in December. There is are over 500 different varieties of tomatoe out there. My two favourite heirloom varieties are Black and Zebra. I am still enjoying my Zebra tomatoes and my blacks finally died a few weeks ago.
Anyway, you can start flowers from seed as well, the passion flower is a great flower to start and you can grow it on an arbour or along a fence. What's more, the flower is edible!

Anyway, have lots of fun and if you want some seeds, send me an email.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Opabinia!

Which Black? (I'm guessing Black Krim, as it's on most folks' favorite heirloom list...)

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm not actually sure what black tomato I grew last year as it was only listed as black tomato at my local organic nursery. This year (next year) I plan on growing Russian black though. It has truly black flesh as apposed to dark red flesh like the variety that I grew last year.

It is now mid November and my zebra plant is still producing unsplit, unrotted, delicious, sweet, yummy tomatoes! I highly recommend this tomato to everyone. Be farewarned though, the tomatoes will appear on the plant as early as June or July but, won't start ripening until the fall. At least, that is what happened with mine.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I have bought Zebra Black, and Black Tula seeds which, are now planted. I'm still going to grow a Russian Black but, I won't do the seed thing. Black tomatoes are highly recommended. They are so flavourful and tastey.

If you have access to prawns... deshell the prawns and cooke them in a sauce made from black tomatoes, garlic and some green onions. Mmmmmm.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”