white118

Dogwood info needed please.

I live in zone 8 out at the coast in NC I have about 2.5 months before the first frost. I just bought the tree and planted it 2 days ago. Any kind of help with the ferilizer, what time of year to apply things like that. And anything you can think of that i might need to know to have a great flowering tree next year. Thank you

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

dogwood care

They are beautiful trees!

Here's an article about caring for them: https://www.daylilyparadise.com/dogwood.html

It says do not fertilize the first year. That would be because you want it to focus on establishing a good root system, not putting out a lot of fast stem/ leaf growth that will just be more vulnerable when bad weather does come.

Just keep it very well watered (water very deeply to help develop that deep root system) and mulched.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Dogwood trees have fairly shallow roots and can easily be damaged with excess fertilizer. I would suggest using either organic fertilizer or slow release fertilizer when it is time to fertilize the tree. Also, I might suggest that you consider a kousa dogwood for some future planting. They are resistant to the blight that affects the American native dogwoods. I am gradually diversifying the many dogwood trees in my yard. Originally we had about a dozen American dogwoods in the yard. Recently I've planted about four new American dogwoods but also included three kousa dogwoods in the mix. This year has been particularly bad for blight with the young native dogwood trees suffering, but the kousa's are very healthy and show no signs of the problem.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I always put in a handful of bonemeal whenever I plant, trees, shrubs or perennials. It helps promote root growth. I also amend the soil with compost or manure especially if sandy or clay.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”