Sleighty
Newly Registered

Cucumber help

Hi All I'm new here, great forums. :D

Anyway to my question, I'm new to growing vegetables as well and have a question about cucumbers. My plants are producing a lot of flowers and they are all dropping off, I read somewhere here in the forum that they produce 2 types of flowers male and female and the female is the one that should turn into a cucumber. My problem is that all the flowers look like male flowers? I can not see any female flowers, the plants are about 2 months old and in good shape.

Thanks

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Check this website out:

https://www.cyber-north.com/gardening/cucumber.html

and what are the temperatures like in your region now? It could be that it is to cold. I can't really think of any other reason why the flowers would drop off unless it is just the male flowers that are dropping off. Though, they would just wither and fall off, not drop off.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Slighty!
First of all, to tell male and female flowers apart: Male blossoms each have a single stamen in the centre, and the male blossoms will appear first. About a week later, the female blossoms will come, and they have a large swelling just beneath the blossom, and a four part pistil in the flower's centre.
Your cucumbers sound like they are not getting pollinated. Usually nature takes care of this with bees, but you can assist the process by picking a male flower, removing the petals, and brushing its pollen covered stamen against the stamens in the centre of the female blossom.

Blossom drop can also be caused by other environmental things like if it is too cold and wet, or where it is too dry and hot.
It can also be caused by a magnesium deficiency that can be resolved by sprinkling a little epsom salts around the base of each plant.

Hopefully some of these will help you out. Let us know how it goes, and drop back in any time! :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good work, Val! :D

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks a bunch Scott!! 8)

Val

Sleighty
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info, it looks like I have some growing now :D