Diane
Green Thumb

pics of my peppers

My burpee pepper. It has 5 small peppers on it.

[img]https://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87/Dianesgarden/IMG00060.jpg[/img]

This shows the slug damage to a pepper plant and one that recovered.
[img]https://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87/Dianesgarden/IMG00051.jpg[/img]

This is my jalapeno. It too was damaged but recovered.
[img]https://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87/Dianesgarden/IMG00049.jpg[/img]

This is two pepper plants in a pot. The squash plant volunteered here also.

[img]https://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87/Dianesgarden/IMG00047.jpg[/img]

Tinybu88les8

O0o0o0o. Your bell peppers look great! I haven't had the best of luck with my 3 bell's. Ive grown a couple of them but they were so small. There's a couple growing right now but they are so weird looking. Its hard to explain...Id have to take a picture...they just look strange. lol

Jewell
Cool Member

Great peppers. :D You did a fantastic job. I have a terrible time getting them to grow. :roll:

zone9garden.com

Great job with the peppers! I love using FRESH bell peppers when I cook fahitas! Yum... now you have made me hungry!

Diane
Green Thumb

Thank you all.
I have always had trouble growing them too.
I learned here at this forum to give them an epsom salt shower when the leaves got light green. I did that once.
I also gave them acid fertilizer once to green up the leaves.
Another thing I did was to deep water them. My clay soil stays wet so I was always too careful about watering.

William123
Newly Registered

Great job with the peppers! I love using FRESH bell peppers when I cook fahitas. Thank you for this.

Get Latest Articles on [url=https://www.learnaboutsunglasses.com]sunglasses[/url].

Diane
Green Thumb

Thanks and you're welcome. I'm happy I finally grew some. :D
Five of the damaged pepper plants have doubled in size and have blossoms and the start of a tiny pepper. This happened in one week!
My son's puppy chomped one plant in half and ran with it. :roll:

Tammy42

Good to hear your plants survived the slugs!!! Great looking peppers Diane!!! Tammy

Diane
Green Thumb

Thank you Tammy. Yes, most did. And the puppy.
There is always something trying to eat our plants!
:roll:

kgall

I tried the epsom salt shower. Now all of the leaves are yellow and hanging sadly. :cry:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Those are looking great. I might have to try some next year. Not a big fan of bell peppers at least that is from my childhood hatred of them.

Dogs can do more damage than all the bugs and rabitts and disease put together. I said before if I didn't have a fence she would use each plant stepping stone style. I'm not kidding, she got in the other day and ripped out a broccoli (big footprint in it's place) and there are soda can size footprints at the base of 2 cauliflower, like directly next to the stem. Stupid dogs. :x :lol:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful peppers Diane. I don't know why, but I think the pepper plants with peppers on them are the most attractive plants in a garden. Mine had a rough start with two late frosts which almost killed them. They certainly looked dead with all the leaves laying on the ground. They surprised me and grew great until the summer heat arrived. Now they look good again with the cooler, longer nights starting.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/IMG_1667.jpg[/img]

Ted

jmoore

tedln wrote:They surprised me and grew great until the summer heat arrived. Now they look good again with the cooler, longer nights starting.
Funny you mention that Ted. My orange bell and jalapeno plants did the same thing. I have had blossom drop all year, because of the heat I assume. This morning I saw two jalapeno's growing. The orange bell has some new buds that look like they might make it as well. Fingers crossed.

Your bell peppers look great!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jmoore,

Thanks! My plants are now heavy with blooms as they were in the early spring. Since they are now 36" tall instead of 18" in the spring, I guess I am looking at a huge bell pepper crop this fall. My jalapenos and other peppers are doing well. My eggplant didn't start producing until the temps were well over 90 degrees. Now they are so heavy, they are bending to the ground. I suppose they will stop when the cool weather starts. I replanted some cukes and yellow squash for fall, but they stuck their head out of the ground, looked at the temp. and promptly died. I guess it was a little early for them.

It's nice to have someone on here in the Dallas area like me. When I mention how hot it is, you will know what I'm talking about.

Ted

Diane
Green Thumb

Thank you Ted. Your peppers look great too.
They are so hard to grow. But they have surprised me in a good way.
I'm getting a little feel for how it is to garden in very hot weather. We're having a heat wave. Four days so far of over 90 temps.
You're probably laughing at this. :)
I went out the first day and my tomato plants looked like they lost a foot in height. And keeping up with watering, well you already know.

Diane
Green Thumb

Thanks Dono. Maybe you could grow jalapeno instead.
I have small fences that the puppy can fit through. He ran off with a volunteer tomato plant, a few branches of tomatoes the pepper and ruined some flowers.
I put up some chicken wire and more fencing.
He can't get through that. :roll:

Diane
Green Thumb

kgall wrote:I tried the epsom salt shower. Now all of the leaves are yellow and hanging sadly. :cry:
How much did you use?
I put about a tablespoon of ES in a gallon of water and sprinkled the leaves for a few seconds.

kgall

I did the same thing. Most of the lower leaves are laying on the ground. There are a few tiny peppers on the plant still though. I guess I will have to wait and see!
I am with you on the temps! It's been hot! I think I would be better off if my body was used to this heat! My watermelon loves it though!

Diane
Green Thumb

If it's only lower leaves I wouldn't worry about it. Mine have some yellow leaves at the bottom of the plants.
It has been way too hot. The plants are hanging down when I go out there every day.
First the plants got flooded with rain every day and now they're being roasted. They are tough. 8)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Tedlin wrote: I don't know why, but I think the pepper plants with peppers on them are the most attractive plants in a garden.
I completely agree with this! This is why peppers are my favorite plant to grow. No matter what kind you grow, they always look gorgeous when covered with peppers :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Diane wrote:Thanks Dono. Maybe you could grow jalapeno instead.
I had Habaneros, poblanos & jalapenos. Nothing ever did good at all so they were removed. I did save one jalapeno plant but then........

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02581.jpg[/img]

Diane
Green Thumb

That's almost life size. :shock:
Peppers are hard enough to grow without those chompers and they can eat a lot.
My peppers have stopped and started a few times. Don't give up.

kgall

These are my peppers. I thought they were a complete loss but they have 3 babies! They are so sad looking though! They are barely knee high.
[img]https://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/kgall_photo/P1020632.jpg[/img]
How will I know when to pick them?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

kgall,

My spring (cool weather) bell peppers got larger than the store bought peppers. I just picked them when they were large. The peppers which set on the summer blooms only seem to grow half as large. If you leave them on, they will start turning red and you will know they are ripe and will not grow larger. Remember that the green bell pepper is an unripe red bell pepper. They are actually a little sweeter when they turn red.

It was really sad to watch the summer heat get to my pepper plants and many nice peppers were lost to sun scald because I was waiting for them to get larger.

Ted

jmoore

tedln wrote:It was really sad to watch the summer heat get to my pepper plants and many nice peppers were lost to sun scald because I was waiting for them to get larger.

Ted
kgall, I'd be over the moon with three peppers! Yours like nice even though you say they are sad.

I've had exactly one pepper produce and it got eaten by some bug one night two months ago. Now the plant is probably 4' tall and I'm finally getting a few new flowers on the very top. Hopefully I'll get something from it after all the babying I've done to the thing.

At least my jalapeno is finally producing. It was in the same boat as the bell.

kgall

Thanks tedln.

The peppers are great...I am over the moon! The plants look sad. Most of the leaves are on the ground. I can't wait till they are ripe!

Diane
Green Thumb

Kgall, they look fine. My jalapeno is about 4 feet tall and full but my bells are 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall and thin. I don't know if they get much bigger?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”