nes
Green Thumb

Spines on Cucumbers

[img]https://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/knitness/DSC_0005-1.jpg[/img]

I was complaining to myself about moving my fat belly around the garden to pick off all the male flowers when I checked on the cucumber that I SWEAR was 3" YESTERDAY and is now well over 6" and so I have my first cuke of the year!! (I'm SO excited to eat it :D).

What is the best way to deal with the spines on cucumbers?

I'm not sure what variety my cucumbers are but there is a possibility they are long english.

Just to peal the whole thing? Or can you remove just the spines somehow? (I actually quite like cucumber rind even when it's tough).
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

kimbledawn

Congrats. It looks like a straight eight to me. When you wash it you can lightly scrub it and then eat away! :D I was amazed how crisp and fresh my first cucumber of the season was. Enjoy!
"Organic gardeners always know the best DIRT!"

tedln
Super Green Thumb

It does look like a straight eight. I always rub the spines off with my hands as I am picking them. I also kinda like cucumber with the skin on, but most people don't, so I usually peel them. In certain parts of the season, the cukes can be stressed from to much or to little water. They develop a bitter taste when stressed. Some people say most of the bitterness is either in or just below the skin. Supposedly you remove some potential bitterness by skining them.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

applestar
Mod

I scrub them off by wetting the cuke then rubbing with 1 tsp~1Tbs coarse Kosher salt. The salt helps to kill/manage germs, scrub off the spines, and is also supposed to remove/reduce bitterness. Rinse and prepare as desired.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

can't remember who but someone here was saying the spines go away when they are ripe.

I just normally scrub them off with my hand when picking, it's kinda cool, yeah I'm weird. :P

somegeek

I use the scotch brite pad we have by our sink to clean off those spines. Cleans them off nicely. I also scrub off the blossom end clean.

nes
Green Thumb

I can't believe how easily the spines came off! I was a little disappointed in the fruit, just a little bland. I'm going to try picking another one a little smaller and see if it's better (this one REALLY snuck right up on me!). The end was a tad bitter, but after 1/4" it was fine, the skin was actually not as thick as I thought.

DS fed his too the dog though :D He's not as big a fan of cukes as his mommy.
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

kgall

Just rub them on your blue jeans! :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”