smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Tomato blight in my compost?

I think one or two of my tomato plants have this Alternaria alternata or tomato early blight alternaria. I've heard in the past your not suppose to compost the plant but how about the tomatoes that have came off it? We had a few that were nibbled on and I just tossed them in the compost not thinking the plant was ill. I also threw a few leaves in the compost before I knew they were falling off because of this.

I'm not getting to excited about if it's in there and I'm not just going to throw out my compost but I'm just wondering if anyone actually had a out break because they had it in their compost bin.

If I use that compost on other plants other then tomatoes for the next year or two will it get destroyed in the ground?

Thoughts or suggestions?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm guessing now, trying to think common sensically, not speaking from any knowledge. Maybe HG or someone with more scientific data will come by. But I would doubt that there would be any problem from putting the tomatoes in your compost, especially if it runs reasonably hot. And I think your solution about putting the compost on other plants than tomatoes (or potatoes, the other major crop it attacks) and it will break down in the soil is fine.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Ah thanks for pointing out it affects potatoes too. I'll be doing a crop of them next year so I'll have to remember not to use my compost on them.

As a side note I guess I will really have to find a place to get some good compost in my area by next spring.

Return to “Composting Forum”